TiVo Fall Update - "Worth the Wait"

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sbiller, Jul 11, 2014.

1. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL

Advertisements

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29374563-TiVo-TiVo-Premiere-Summer-Update

This is something we are tracking, going to be honest here, I'm working on a Motorola Update as well so that's taking some resources.. I'm looking for possible deployment here of the (3.1) software here in September. The code that is being dubbed the Summer update is actually 3.0.. Because of some key features in 3.1 I don't want to deploy 3.0 then come back in a month and then hit the boxes with 3.1...

3.1 is worth the wait.
    --
    Jason Nealis,
    V.P. Engineering and Operations

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Just like Android streaming, apparently. We just don't know which decade that will be.

*ducking*

3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Thanks Sam, good nugget. Sounds promising.

4. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Cool. Thanks for sharing.

5. anthonymoody

anthonymoody Member

Apr 29, 2008

Advertisements

Amazon streaming please. Tough to imagine anything else being "worth the wait" (I'm an iOS guy so...)

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That shouldn't require a software update. It's just an app and can be deployed at anytime.

7. spaldingclan

spaldingclan Member

Aug 22, 2012
    then just do it!
    the Tivo "app store" is a joke

8. dcline414

dcline414 New Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Probably in the works, but they didn't have an environment to test in until the latest update was developed. They could just deploy without testing and hope for the best, but that usually doesn't work out too well.

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This is more of a premium app, like Netflix or Hulu, that would likely get more UI integration then an app from the store. It would likely be integrated into search, get an icon at the bottom of My Shows, etc... Plus there are some unique issues with Amazon. Currently TiVo is using a special download version of their rental service. Downloads are preferable to some that have slow internet service or because they are higher quality. (streaming is only 720p, downloads are 1080p) So TiVo might need a special version of the app that supports both options.

There could also be business issues at play that have nothing to do with the technology. For all we know they have an app written and ready and Amazon wont let them release it.

10. SullyND

SullyND L: 31-14 (10-2) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Keep in mind that is a post from RCN. While they now have the ability to do Netflix, I'm not sure they'd be too excited about Amazon streaming as they do not offer Amazon downloads.

11. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Jason Nealis posted this a few days ago,

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Amazon Streaming is 1080P on several devices now.

13. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Still want the download ability, if it's like the streaming on the Amazon Fire TV it's very bandwidth hungry.

14. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Amazon doesn't offer a download option on any other STB platform. My guess is when/if they release an updated Amazon Instant app, they will kill off downloads.

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I read a post recently that suggested if you buy a Roamio manufactured after a certain date it no longer includes Amazon at all. Not even the old crappy one we have now. Can anyone else confirm that? If so then I'd say it's a strong indication that Amazon is planning to shut down the download service. Lets just hope that when they do we have a streaming app to replace it.

16. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Confirmed.
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/259

As noted on that page, the app doesn't comply with FCC regulatory changes. TiVo claims to be working with Amazon on the problem, although I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Also being discussed here:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=519461

17. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    According to Jason @ RCN
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29495004-

The Fall Update includes a "new feature that will allow you to set up a season pass OUTside of the 14 day program data"

I assume this is a real Season Pass and not just a Wishlist SP.

18. nooneuknow

nooneuknow Well-Known Dismembered Member (Lurk Mode On)

Feb 5, 2011
    Whitewater, WI
    I got B***slapped when I suggested some of the recent scheduling anomalies might be due to TiVo finally experimenting with using more than what Tribune provides them, and we might be getting closer to some of the "walled garden" type of data the MSOs haven't let TiVo access, or some variant of that.

Of course, it's possible that even if that is the case, it might be for MSO leased TiVos only...

19. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    which aren't many yet. I thought the mso's aren't leasing but customers have buy the hardware.

20. nooneuknow

nooneuknow Well-Known Dismembered Member (Lurk Mode On)

Feb 5, 2011
    Whitewater, WI
    I'm not sure how it all now works with the Roamio. I never heard of any MSOs having the customer buy the Premieres, or other boxes running the TiVo software. The Premieres run roughly the same software as the Roamios, but Roamios keep the OS in flash, and store fewer databases on-drive, requiring more cloud-like storage instead, via the back-end servers.

If any Roamio-using MSO partners require purchase, wouldn't the customers be stuck with a brick, if they cancel their cable? I don't see any party buying the boxes back. The software for the MSO boxes would be different enough, that I don't see just re-running setup making it viable for use like it came from Best Buy or TiVo direct. Thus, no resale value, if I'm correct.

I was just reading some posts on TiVo financials in one of the threads here, and there were only two categories to the numbers of TiVo subs, customer-owned and MSO-owned, with MSO numbers much greater than customer-owned. the same publications showed losses in customer-owned, and increases in MSO-owned (compared to same quarter, last year).

Rather than say "you are wrong", I'm asking where you got your info. I've been curious how new things do show up with the newer software updates, but are then explained as being something only MSO-partner boxes will be using. If retail doesn't get to use it, why even make its presence visible?

Hopefully, somebody like CoxInPhx can help clarify this for us.