Tivo Fall Update released?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mearlus, Sep 24, 2007.

1. mearlus

mearlus Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Madison, WI

Advertisements

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2007-09/tivo-rolls-out-fall-software-update/

Dave Zatz posted to his blog today that it appears that 9.1 is being released. Anyone have a list of what's changed?

2. Puppy76

Puppy76 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Why is that in the Series 3 forum? I was wondering why no one was talking about this.

Anyway the new look is really spiffy. I couldn't believe how overhauled that is!

And what was the previous version? 8.x? I can't remember if it was 7 or 8, and what the difference even was.

Anyway, I haven't used it much yet, but the new look is spiffy and surprising, and the new wish list options SOUND really cool!

3. mearlus

mearlus Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Madison, WI
    Yeah, I don't have a Series 3 so I don't look at that forum. My understanding is this is also going out to Series 2 Tivos and I didn't see any discussion for it...

4. Puppy76

Puppy76 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2004

Advertisements

Yeah, this should really be in this forum IMO.

Anyway my Series 2 had it when I turned on the TV this morning. The new interface is really snazzy. The new wish list features sound cool, and it's even got a new screen when it's not tuned to a channel :)

5. mearlus

mearlus Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Madison, WI
    Interesting. I didn't think they were ever going to push out new interface designs. I hope the UI is similiar to the old one so I don't have to 'hear' about it ;)

6. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    The upgrade started hitting S3's September 20th and TiVo HD's and S2's slightly later so the discussion started in the S3 forum.

Per TiVoJerry's post, upgrades are initially delivered to a small number boxes over a couple of weeks to gauge feedback and work out any bugs. Once TiVo is satisfied with the software's performance and stability in the wild it will be rolled out to the masses over a period of several weeks.

Don't be disappointed or worry if your TiVo isn't upgraded any time soon.

Once the normal rollout begins you may be able to receive it early by signing up on the TiVo Priority List. (The page will not be active until the normal rollout begins.)

7. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    It already was.

9.1 has NOT been released yet. It is a pre-release test right now, which they always do before doing the full release. So only a handful of users have it.

8. ormder

ormder New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    I just went to the Tivo priority page, and It had an announcement that the "rollout" of the 9.1 upgrade for series 2 and 3 has been completed.

9. mearlus

mearlus Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Madison, WI

That's interesting because when I go to it right now it says: "Currently the latest software and features available have been completely released to all Series2 and Series3 units. If your unit is not running version 8.3, please force a connection to the TiVo service and you will be updated to the latest version."

10. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Yeah - it hasn't changed since the *last* rollout. :)

11. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Me want! Me want!

That is all.

12. MultimediaJones

MultimediaJones Mans Man

Jan 2, 2004
    Jefferson...
    I hadn't heard about this update until I noticed both my tivos had received it on their last connection and were pending restart. I restarted the one that didn't have anything important about to record.

Unlike some other updates this one took almost the full hour to 'prepare' that the screen indicated. Fair enough. But when it came back this S2 (240) couldn't find a signal on the so-called basic analog tuner. Did a full power down and back up, which corrected that. Just in case I'll be sure to restart the other one before bed so I can take action if needed to avoid missing pending shows for tomorrow.

Otherwise only a few things to report this early. Indeed they have brought a bit of pretty, mostly by adding gradients to areas of color rather than just having a bunch of one solid color. The wishlist improvement looks like it could be very useful. I'm particularly thinking about wishlists I want for an actor appearing in anything except one particular show thats in syndication 5 times a day. I'm not seeing slowness on skip or replay, but wouldn't be surprised by a little lag soon after an upgrade while TiVo updates its guide cache etc.

As far as MRV the non-upgraded unit can't see the upgraded one and the upgraded one sees the other but not its recordings. Hopefully once both are updated that will resolve itself. I also find that partial recordings previously transferred by MRV just fail with the "no video signal" error. Maybe restarting the other will solve that too, though once transferred I'd have thought a recording would be good regardless.

Now its just a matter of hoping there isn't a sizable new bug delivered free with the new feature. If anything of particular interest new comes up I'll share.

13. rich

rich Final answer?

Mar 18, 2002
    New York
    Ditto for me ... my S2 was upgraded last night. It took a long time, then when it came up there was no signal on the basic analog tuner. I rebooted and all was well, but I missed a couple of recordings overnight because of it. I'm glad I was here to see it and deal with it, otherwise I would have missed a lot.

14. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Hmmm...sounds like a bug to me as the need to reboot to regain the tuner settings has been reported more than a few of times now. Might be worth a call to TiVo?

15. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Once this update is in full release, I'll be looking forward to all the 'bug' threads. ;)

Hopefully I won't be contributing to them.

:)

16. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    I feel left out. I got the pre-release version on at least one of my Tivos for each of the last two updates, but I've gotten nothing this time around.

17. lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    I have it. Didn't have time to play around this morning, but the new UI is hella snazzy.

18. mearlus

mearlus Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Madison, WI
    Priority roll out for 9.1 is Live now!!!

19. james.92

james.92 New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Thanks for the link! :up: