tivo fails on TCP port 37

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ajwees41, Apr 12, 2017.

1. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

Advertisements

why would the TCP port 37 fail, but all network functions daily call cox ondemand still work? this is on Tivo roamio.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Good question. There are several threads on this over the years. Port 37 is obsolete, having been replaced by Port 123. The more technical stuff is here: Solved: Different between port 123 (ntp) and 37 (timeserve... - Hewlett Packard Enterprise Community and so far my clock is working, however it does usually run fast.

I have two Roamio units with this problem that started yesterday. It's also bad on my Premiere. You can reboot your network if you will feel better, but it won't fix it.

Probably not related, but all my video streaming sources became enabled today.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  3. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
  4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you Search all the forums you will find this problem goes back years. Like you said, everything is working so far.

This is another: TCP Port 3. I wish I would have never upgraded to a bolt!

Not sure if it's related, but I have failed my last two VCM connections. And, of course, the network connection tests runs fine.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  5. Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.

Advertisements

My VCM connections are failing now. My Roamios will make their service connection tomorrow morning so I will wait and see what happens.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    This is a large TiVo user base. I find it curious that so few have noticed this issue. I guess if stuff still records and plays back, other stuff doesn't matter. [metaphors omitted]

I tried a Search and received a C501 error. But that's minor since everything else works.

7. Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.
    My nuclear network options worked. I reset the modem to factory defaults and the removed power. I also shutdown and removed power from all devices on my network. I then brought up the modem and then moved up the chain. I also reset my router to its factory defaults. When I powered up the TiVos they both made a service connection and a few VCM connections and both units will make another VCM connection after 9PM tonight. Hopefully this sticks.

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Here's my status:
    Reset Router
    Reset Bridge
    Reset Modem
    Changed bad Roamio to wireless - eliminates bridge.
    Forced connection
    No change. VCM date is back to 12/31.

New: Other Roamio is fine
    All four Mini are fine. When application of Mini power, the three without a connection this week had no port 37 error.
    Forced connection on all Mini - all had port 37 error and all video streaming sources enabled when finished. All had current VCM Connections.

Next step is GS on bad Roamio. All, including Premiere, have guide data to 4/26.

9. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    my vcm date is April 14th but still failing on the TCP port tests

10. Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.
    My Roamios are still ok. When I went nuclear I unplugged everything upstream of the router and modem. Before I shutdown my computer I did the reset to factory defaults and then reboot on the configuration page of the modem. I did not let the modem reboot as I unplugged it and then let it set for a while. I then shutdown my pc. I then powered up the modem and let it get a lock on the new channels. After that I reset the router by holding in the reset button and then let that reboot. Then I started bringing my equipment on line starting with my switch and PC in the basement. Then moved to the switch and PC in my front room and then my printer. I then went and plugged in my switch, TV, AVR, then the TiVo. I then went upstairs and plugged in the switch, TV, and TiVo. Once both TiVos were up and running I went back to the first TV and then connected the network to my AVR, OPPO, and then the Sony BD. I went back upstairs and plugged in my AVR and then my Pioneer BD player.
    This way every device is forced to get a new IP address from the router and all connections are fresh. I had no luck with just reboots as the problem kept reoccurring and VCM was back at 12/31.
    TiVo's are doing good since then. I have no errors on the service connection and VCM is connecting on it scheduled connection. I have guided data out to the 26th.

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    After GS, my guide is 4/27 and VCM is still dead, as is Search and TiVo Online Search. If it wasn't just one box I wouldn't concentrate on it. All other units are fine. I can change it's IP address easily, but I have little hope. I have a bad feeling that my account is messed up. I hesitate to call TiVo since the hard drive has been changed. In fact, for a Friday, my entire schedule for next week looks perfect. That's rare. Only one more thing to do: C&DE. Maybe next week. I can still use Search from the other Roamio.

Funny how few have noticed that TCP port 37 fails diagnostics on every Series 4 and higher.

12. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

mine just started it's like it's in groups some will be fine then 3 weeks later the port 37 error

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I had three Mini boxes without the error since they had no power. I applied power and forced a connection. Two things happened. Port 37 error and all video streaming services enabled.

One other item that makes this Roamio different than my other Roamio: it's been on the Priority update list forever.

14. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    I checked both of my Roamios and both Service and VCM Connections were successful so I didn't see the need to reply.
    You sound upset - I'm sorry that you seem to be one of a few, thus far (based solely on the number of participants in this thread), experiencing this problem. I'd help troubleshoot if there was anything I could do.
    So many abbreviations! I had to 'think' about GS. :oops:
    What will a C&DE (Clear and Delete Everything) accomplish?

I have a several month / possibly year by now old problem, posted here, reported to TiVo - no solution :p - where adding / changing a 1P displays a 'Conflict' screen but lists no actual conflicts (since there aren't any when I manually check). C&DE is something I've read about, don't know much about yet (i.e. ramifications), and plan on trying once we hit the summer re-runs and there are no NEW 1P shows scheduled to record.
    I have one episode of Chicago PD that won't delete, either from it's remote, the other TiVo via MRV, or 'TiVo Online'. I was contemplating a 'Power Cycle' but now I think that I'll hold off...

15. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Just for the fun of it I decided to check if my units have made successful VCM connections recently. I happen to have them all plugged in right now so I have a good selection to test.
    1. Series 2: working fine successful VCM in the last few hours.
    2. Original Series 3: working fine successful VCM in the last few hours.
    3. Tivo HD: working fine successful VCM in the last few hours.
    4. Premiere: VCM FAILED last successful 4/12
    5. base Roamio: VCM FAILED last successful 4/12
    6. Bolt: working fine successful VCM in the last few hours.
    The above seems weird 4 Ok 2 failures. I am not going to worry about it at this time but guess I need to make sure they self correct.

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Thanks for checking. I wasn't the first to notice the port 37 error, so I don't usually go looking for problems. C&DE would wipe your box, similar to changing the hard drive. I do agree, I don't know what it would do besides make me enter a lot of configuration items. 4/12, the day this thread started. Jed1 saw the problem but his has been fixed. I'm patient. Having two units helps too. Shortly there will be fewer 1P like you said, so until then I'll watch & wait.

I have no proof that loss of VCM connections and the TCP port 37 error are related.

Update: VCM Connection worked at 19:30. No action I can point to, but it's one less thing to worry about. Search is still bad.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  17. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    [Although you QUOTEd @atmuscarella, it 'sounds' like you're replying to me (i.e. explaining C&DE; fewer 1Ps soon, etc...) so I'll just reply. :) ]

The only help that I'm currently aware of if one is planning on 'wiping a box' is kmttg's feature of saving all 1Ps - never tried it yet so I'll be sure to 'Experiment' before I commit to a C&DE. When I change / upgrade the HDDs on both of my Roamios to 4TB 'during the summer doldrums', MFS Tools 3.2 is my chosen tool / method to minimize re-entering (hopefully) anything. :cool:

RE: my outstanding problem, False Recording / One Pass Conflicts Screens on Roamio Basic, possibly you didn't see my original posting and might share any insights / ideas / suggestions now?

Your ability to recite TiVo System Log entries by rote always impresses me...

18. Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.
    So far so good. Both units are making successful VCM connections. Neither of my Roamios had the TCP 37 error and only my downstairs TiVo had the VCM connection failure. I would knock on wood but I don't want to jinx anything.
    The one thing I couldn't understand I did not see any ill affects of the failing VCM connection. Everything worked, even the discovery bar updated.

19. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I can't think of anything we would miss without a VCM connection, but we don't have a list of what it does either.

I was thinking: what changed? What have I done recently to this Roamio that I haven't done to the other? I then realized that I have been using the Bookmark function to see what it does. I read the answers on TiVo's help forum. This might explain the Search problem. I usually only enable Amazon Prime. Yesterday I unchecked it. I'm going to play with it some.

This TCP port 37 error is probably going to be fixed by removing the test. It's obsolete anyhow.

20. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    While have never had a unexplained conflict, I periodically perform a CPI&TDL, rebuilding the guide and To Do List. I give it about an hour. I have also done several Guided Setups since Rovi. My headend changed three years ago but Rovi never changed so I selected a different zipcode that still lives. I am happy with 1TB & 3TB and have never used MFS Tools. I still have a 500GB Premiere I plug in to save movies.