Tivo Extended Warranty Experience

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by JSearfoss, Oct 17, 2018.

1. JSearfoss

JSearfoss Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Wellsboro, PA

Advertisements

I have owned a Tivo since 2006 and have upgraded to each new hardware series w/lifetime service as they were released. I have never purchased the extended warranty until I purchased my Bolt+ in 4/2017. The 3yr warranty was not that much so I thought I would try it. Well today I got to try out the extended warranty. I ordered my Bolt+ in 4/2017. It arrived DOA out of the box. No problem I called Tivo and they sent me a new one. That one has worked fine up until last night it rebooted in the middle of a show and I got the 4 flashing lights. Called tech support this morning. They asked a few questions and said sounds like the hard drive has failed. Then they said that since it was past the warranty period I would have to pay something like $150 for a replacement. So I asked what about the 3yr extended warranty I purchased. They said they did not show any extended warranty and that I would have to talk to customer service about that. So they transferred me to customer service. I explained to customer service what had happened and they said to hold while they checked it out. When they came back they told me the extended warranty I had purchased was on the first bolt they sent me and that extended warranties do not transfer to replacements. Well after some arguing about the first bolt being DOA out of the box they said to hold again. When they came back they said that since the first bolt did not work at all that they could waive the box replacement charge but that they would have to charge me $199 to transfer the lifetime service. That is when the shi* really hit the fan. Let's just say that after some more back and forth and being on hold for over an hour they came back and said that they would replaced the box and transfer the lifetime service for NO charge this one time. But the extended warranty was on the original box so it would no longer be valid. Even though it should be good until 4/2020. I said that I would agree to this just as long as the new box I receive was not DOA. So my replacement is on the way.

This experience did get me thinking though about the extended warranty. Does an extended warranty actually cover the transfer of the lifetime service ? I never though about it when I purchased it.

2. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    Does the price change based on whether it is purchased with or without lifetime?

I had assumed it would but didn’t really think about it at the time either. The only time I paid for it was when I purchased a refurbished unit. It’s past the warranty at this point so I’ll never know if they’d transfer it or not.

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Apparently, you should have cancelled the initial purchase, within the 30 day trial period, and re-purchased.

That would be sucky if that was the case, though...

-KP

4. chiguy50

chiguy50 U.S. Army (ret.)

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA

The TiVo extended warranty (like most third-party warranty services) is only good for replacement of the original unit on which is taken out. IOW, it is for one-time use only. And, yes, the PLS should transfer to the replacement.

Isn't it annoying when you have to invest so much time and energy getting a company to do the proper thing? Good job, though, insisting on your rights.

5. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005

Advertisements

Of course, your position on the DOA unit vis-à-vis the extended warranty was absolutely correct. Sad that it takes an hour+ to get Customer Support to recognize that.

6. garyprud

garyprud Member

Jan 13, 2017
    They always like to point out that 'warranty' and 'service' are not the same thing...they're separate, kind of like the two lobes of their brains perhaps?

7. CIR-Engineering

CIR-Engineering Video Calibration & Electronics Repair Engineer

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    Now I’m glad I didn’t get the extended warranty. What a load.

craigr

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Getting the extended warranty is fine. it's just that the OP technically used his extended warranty on the first TiVo. When they should have had that box returned with a new purchase of a TiVo, lifetime service, and extended warranties.

most extended warranties will stay in place if a device is repaired. But if it is replaced, like TiVo always does, then the warranty is used up. Best Buy extended warranties are the same way. I always need to purchase a new extended warranty if they replace an item. But if it's repaired, then my Best Buy extended warranty is still in place.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  9. wisehammer

wisehammer New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    I hope they've decided to abandon the Comcast tactics for good. Last week I got the 4 flashing Diodes of Death on the front of my Bolt (together with the blue screen "Serious TiVo error. Rebuilding..."). After dicking around with it for an hour or two, I called customer service. They asked me to do the same stuff I'd already done, and agreed it needed replacement. They also said I was over 1,000 days out of warranty, but would replace the unit with a refurbisehd one (that's fair) AND transfer the lifetime service for about $80. This surprised and pleased me, because I'd gone through several past attempted rapes while dealing with TiVo, ranging from "your brand-new unit is three days past it's 30 day warranty, and despite the fact that it died, you'll have to pay for a new one and a new lifetime service" and then "OK (sigh) I guess we'll send you a new unit....oh, the ****** scratched up refurbished unit we sent you DIED as well? Here's another ****** refurbished unit..Oh, you'll NOT accept it and threaten to sue? Ok, here's a new unit (grumble, grumble, grumble....") I received my newest (huh...) refurbished unit and need to contact Comcast to get the card paired, but so far so good, but this is definitely my last tango with TiVo. When this unit dies, I'm not re-upping. Their service and attitude have gone from good, to cautious, to snotty, to hardline, and now kind of desperate. The Tyranny of Sunk Costs has to end someday....

10. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I understand the frustrations. At the same time, I don't know any other home electronics manufacturer for a product I own that routinely offers to replace an out-of-warranty product at a significantly reduced price (both the product and its related subscription, if there is one), or even at all.

chiguy50 and aaronwt like this.
  11. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I own three refurbs and none of them have even a microscopic scratch. Sorry to hear about your experience, but I don't think it's typical.

chiguy50 and aaronwt like this.
  12. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I believe you misunderstand. It's the sunk cost fallacy.

Also, purchasing an extended warranty for consumer electronics is a very bad idea in the first place.

13. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    At the same time, it can depend upon the specific item and the specific consumer.

14. aspexil

aspexil Active Member

Oct 16, 2015
    It depends. I bought my $800 Pixel XL from Google and paid for the extended warranty. 18 months later the microphone quit working. I paid $49 deductible and they overnight shipped me out a refurb that looked good as new and working. I guess it depends on the original cost of the item whether it is worth it. In my case I certainly saved big not having to buy a newer Pixel.

aaronwt and Mikeguy like this.
  15. chiguy50

chiguy50 U.S. Army (ret.)

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    All generalizations are erroneous.:confused:

16. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    True but the Tyranny of Sunk Costs sounds better:)

17. INTL

INTL Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Extended warranties are tricky. What I do is purchase everything on a Citibank credit card. They double the manufacturers warranty. Never had an issue with a claim with them. True, it wouldn't be 3 years, but it would be 2 years. I've had extended warranties before and they will try every loophole to get around paying for anything. You were at least persistent in getting things changed partly in your favor. Consider that a win.

Mikeguy likes this.
  18. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Do you people buy lottery tickets too?

I repeat, buying extended an warranty for consumer electronics is a bad idea. Anyone who does so is being taken advantage of. They could never pay off in the long run without putting the issuers out of business.

The concept of insurance is to protect against catastrophes like dying and leaving your family destitute, or being sued in pauper-hood after an auto accident. I have never heard of someone winding up homeless because their TiVo broke.

Yes, but using that word means one don't realize it is a fallacy.

19. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Funny but, Consumer Reports doesn't agree with your categorical announcement. For example, in the past, it has noted that an extended warranty could have value for large consumer electronics that are hard to move.

aaronwt likes this.
  20. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Since when have TiVos been hard to move?

Purchasing an extended warranty is always a bad idea, just like murder is always a bad idea; but sometimes it would have been better to have strangled baby Hitler.