TiVo Expander Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TexasGrillChef, Dec 3, 2007.

1. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006

Advertisements

Does the TiVo 500gb HD Expander have any "lights", LED's or other light producing items on it? In other words, when it is plugged in & operating does it have anything on it that is "glowing" or producing light?

Has anyone opened up the "Expander" to see if the "LED's" or other "lights" can be unplugged?

The reason I am asking, is I have a TiVo HD in my bedroom. I do not like any lights or anything in my bedroom. I need a completely 100% dark room. The kind that is safe to open "Film" (remember the film days??) in. Abosolutely no light. yeah I know I am weird.

TiVo HD is nice in that I can turn OFF ALL LED's, So I just need to know if the expander has LED's and if I can open up the box & unplug the LED's.

TGC

2. rucka

rucka Member

May 14, 2007
    some black tape over the light should take care of it, no?

3. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    If you are talking about the Western Digital My DVR Expander, there is a set of concentric circles in the middle of the front panel that glow a very soft amber-orange. It's the same design as the WD My Book series meant for computer storage.

I keep mine in an A/V cabinet (and tucked near the back both for airflow and because the provided cable is too short) and I feel the lights aren't very bright at all. I've seen VCR/DVD recorder/cable box displays that are MUCH brighter.

If it's still too bright for you I guess you can try black tape, or perhaps aluminum foil.

4. Interpol

Interpol New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Some black electrical tape will solve the problem.

5. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN

Advertisements

how long is the included esata cable? how long of a cable could I get (3 feet)?

6. doraemon

doraemon New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    I think the spec allows up to 1 m long cables, so that'd be about 3 feet. Those are the most common ones you find for sale.

7. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    I have a 6' eSATA 2 (3g) cable running on my Antec eSATA box (750gb drive inside) hooked up to my S3 without a problem. Been running now for I guess about 6 months now.

I am just thinking about getting the "TiVo Branded" eSATA drive for my THD in my bedroom but was mainly concerned about it's light producing issues considering I prefer a 100% dark room.

I think I will probably get a 6' cable and punch a whole in the wall behind the S3 and put the drive in my closet. That way it hides away nice & neat!

Thanks for everyones help. I did figure I could use black electrical tape, I am using that on my DVD player since the darn thing always has a "RED" led glowing on it 24/7. (I guess Pioneer figures you need to find the power button in the dark or something, it's red when the unit is off, and green when the unit is on)

TGC

8. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Thanks, I think 6 will be perfect. I can hide it well then.