TiVo error message displayed through A/B switch

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bklinc, Sep 17, 2017.

1. bklinc

bklinc Member

Aug 21, 2013
    PA, TX

Advertisements

When Bolt (with cablecard) is connected directly to TV, works fine. When Bolt is connected through an A/B switch (TiVo/DVD player), displays TiVo error message "HDMI connection not allowed". Tried TiVo support chat, but no help. Tried swapping ALL of the HDMI cables out and around. All worked when directly connected from TiVo to TV, but not through A/B switch. Purchased another A/B switch (different brand), still received same TiVo error message when connected through switch. DVD player consistently worked fine when connected either directly or through switch. Definitely a TiVo error message as it is clearly identified by the TiVo logo at beginning of message when displayed on TV. Switch is an actual switch, not an HDMI splitter (which won't work since TiVo is always on and interferes with signal from DVD player.) STUMPED! Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It would be HDCP that is the issue, not the cables and your switch seem to not support HDCP. Suggest you update your A/B switch to a HDMI switch. That is if your TV only has 1 HDMI port. Maybe its time to update the TV instead.

3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I use an hdmi switch with four ports, no problem. Kinivo is the brand.

4. bklinc

bklinc Member

Aug 21, 2013
    PA, TX
    Thank you for your kind reply. I didn’t elaborate adequately in my post, so I’ll do so here. You must be correct about the switches not being HDCP compliant. (I can understand that one of them may not be, but I am surprised that both of them are not.) They are both 2-in-1-out HDMI switches. One of them is self-powered, the other has a “wall wort” to supply 5vdc to the switch. Since all of the cables work fine without the switches, the switches must be the culprit.

The TV does have two HDMI inputs. However, the TV is high on a wall with the A/V cabinet about 15 feet away. I have run one HDMI cable to the TV, a decorating eyesore! (Have encased it in a paintable cable enclosure to reduce visibility.) I was trying to avoid adding another cable to this run and will continue to attempt to do so by trying to find an HDCP-compliant switch. Another poster has indicated that he has one of a specific brand. Will go on the hunt for such.

5. bklinc

bklinc Member

Aug 21, 2013
    PA, TX

Advertisements

Thanks for the useful advice. I have found several HDMI switches by Kinivo, but none of them claim to be HDCP compliant. Any possibility you could send me info on either the model number of the one you have or a link to the product? I hate to purchase another switch and have to return it since I have already had to return two other switches. Thanks.

6. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    It's a Kinivo 501BN. It has the symbol ((HDCP)) on the box which I assume means HDCP compliant. Not guarantees, only that it works for me. By the way, this model has five inputs and I previously said four as I forgot about the one on the side.

https://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-501BN-Premium-wireless-adapter/dp/B0049SCB2Y

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I currently use a 4 input/1 output switch, powered by USB on my 24" monitor, for my PC, 2 PS4s and the last HDMI unused/unplanned. It also has a remote. Although the brand is not Kinivo, it works pretty well. It also features PIP, which the Kinivo does not.

The part that I did not like with the Kinivo is there are ports on the sides as well as the back. Which means you require more space on the sides to allow the cables.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BV1XBIY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  8. Oct 8, 2017 #8 of 14
    bklinc

bklinc Member

Aug 21, 2013
    PA, TX
    I wanted to close this thread with a grateful "thank you" to all of you who replied with helpful information. As soon as you identified the issue as one of HDCP compliance, I was able to purchase switches and splitters which worked fine in my system, and without "breaking the bank". Thanks again for the information on brands, models, etc. Kind regards until the next time.

9. Oct 9, 2017 #9 of 14
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Can you report the components purchased that solved the issue for you (model info or purchase links)?

10. bklinc

bklinc Member

Aug 21, 2013
    PA, TX
    krkaufman likes this.
  11. bklinc

bklinc Member

Aug 21, 2013
    PA, TX
    HOLD ON! Sorry for the quick update, but don't run out and purchase this device until I finish troubleshooting. Yesterday, all worked well. Today, NOT! Have traced the problem to this switch, but before I indict the switch, I want to swap out an HDMI cable. When I bypass the switch, connecting directly to TV, everything is fine. However, when I include the switch, no signal to TV. I have run out of HDMI cables (house has been "eating" them lately!). Hope to test this in the next several days. I will try to update this thread with the results, either way. If switch has indeed failed already (about 1 week of use), it will have to go back and I'll begin the search for a replacement. If that is the case, I will have to withdraw my recommendation of it. Thanks for your indulgence.

krkaufman likes this.
  12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Thank for keeping TCF in the loop.

13. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Are you running very long HDMI cables? Sometimes the HDMI/HDCP signals become marginal over long lengths and could lead to issues you are describing.

14. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area