TiVo equipment

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Don five, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Don five

Don five New Member

Jun 25, 2018

Advertisements

Currently renting TiVo Roamio Plus Series 5 and several TiVo minis from my cable provider. All working fine, but interested in purchasing my own equipment to avoid paying the monthly rental fees. All connected via 75-ohm cables from splitter/amp. Cable provider says OK to have my own equipment, just pay the $5.95 cable card fee. OK, what equipment to purchase, to duplicate what I have now? Second question, cable provider says I cannot buy my own TiVo minis to connect to their TiVo Roamio. Is that possible, or just sales talk?

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You can buy the same stuff you own, or upgrade to a Bolt if you want.

They may well lock down the interface as they indicated, but if you have a tivo account you can try to add a mini to it. Provider name may help folks address your question.

Don five likes this.
  3. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    You can buy either a Series 5 Roamio or a Series 6 Bolt and Minis. The customer service rep is probably correct that you can't buy your own Minis and have them work with your rented DVR. Usually, retail Minis will only be able to work with retail TiVo DVRs.

Don five likes this.
  4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    So you are going to be looking at All-in service on the Roamio Plus/Pro (used) or Bolt (used/new) to avoid a monthly service cost to TiVo also?

Scott

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

Which are?

6. Don five

Don five New Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Cable company fees are $20 for the TiVo DVR, $10 each for 5 TiVo minis.

7. Don five

Don five New Member

Jun 25, 2018

8. Don five

Don five New Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Don't know what TiVo charges are.

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Unless there is a special or you buy one used that already has the All-in service plan (which mean no monthly or annual fees).

upload_2018-6-25_20-31-50.png

Scott

Don five likes this.
  10. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    When you buy a TiVo DVR (not Mini), you must have a subscription (AKA Service Plan) to use the box. You can pay monthly, annually, or one-time-lifetime (now known as All-In). A Mini does not need any Service Plan (so no monthly fee), but all your TiVo boxes (including Minis) must be registered to the same TiVo account to be able to work together on the same home network.

You can buy used TiVo equipment and have it transferred to your own TiVo account, and if the used box already has a Lifetime (All-in) subscription, that will transfer with the box, so you would not need to pay for a new service plan. Always call Tivo and verify the status and eligibility for transfer of the TSN on a used box you are considering BEFORE paying any money!

TiVo also sells a Roamio OTA that comes with an All-in subscription for MUCH less than other current boxes, but the Roamio OTA cannot be used with a cable card unless you modify the box yourself. This can be done fairly easily, and generally for less than $50. Lots more information about that in other threads on these forums if you want to consider it. Also pay attention to the number of tuners in any TiVo DVR you are considering - the Roamio OTA or 500GB Bolt boxes only have four tuners, and since you already have five Minis, a 4-tuner box may not be acceptable to you; it all depends on how many live TV shows your family watches at any one time.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    If you buy a used TiVo, be sure the seller has called TiVo support and told them they are selling to you, including giving them your name. Tivo will furnish a reference number that you can then use to facilitate the transfer when you call in. (And definitely verify the status of the TSN before paying the seller.)