Tivo elite

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by trachka, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Jan 7, 2012 #1 of 41
    trachka

trachka New Member

Jan 7, 2012
    I we are looking to purchase our first TiVo. The elite looks great but is it worth the extra dollars over the premiere xl. We currently have two dvr from time Warner cable 50 hours of hd recording. Looking for more hours can't to be able to watch in all rooms. Thanks for any info.
    Karen

2. Jan 7, 2012 #2 of 41
    JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    You can always add more space to the Premiere. The Elite is nice, but your cable system has to be 100% digital. I'd love to have an Elite, but a significant number of channels in my area are still analog

3. Jan 7, 2012 #3 of 41
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It doesn't have to be 100% digital. We still have analogs in our lineup but they are all duplicated on the digital tier so the fact that the Elite can't tune the analogs is insignificant to me. I believe most areas have their analog channels also in digital now.

4. Jan 8, 2012 #4 of 41
    JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    that means it is 100% digital effectively. my system has some channels in analog only (charter). There's a good chance the OP's system has digital simulcast, but it's an important thing to check on before dropping the money on an Elite

5. Jan 8, 2012 #5 of 41
    nelamvr6

nelamvr6 New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    New London,...
    To me one HUGE draw of the Elite was having four tuners! It is amazing! Highly recommended, worth every penny IMHO.

6. Jan 8, 2012 #6 of 41
    Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Active Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I love my Elite. The 4 tuners are great.

7. Jan 8, 2012 #7 of 41
    jbaum

jbaum Member

Jul 23, 2002
    Totally agree. I was reluctant because the cost, but I love the 4 tuners and wish I made the plunge sooner

8. Jan 8, 2012 #8 of 41
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Some of us don't get to join the party. :( (OTA only)

9. Jan 8, 2012 #9 of 41
    Innerloop

Innerloop New Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Marin...
    Can anyone explain what "MoCA" support is and how it benefits a user today?

I see that's another difference between the current "XL" and the "Elite". I'm on the fence about upgrading, so trying to see what other benefits there may be.

Or is MoCA more of a "might be used in the future" sort of thing?

10. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    MoCA, is a Local Area Network technology that is used to network over coaxial cables, like the Cable/RF inputs on a Tivo/CableBox. You probably will want a filter on your out to the cable company to make sure no one else can see what is going over the network. Tivo sells filters. You will need a MoCA to Ethernet adapter and a coaxial drop to connect the RF network to your modem or router.

Also, the Elite has 4 tuners to the XLs 2, and twice the capacity.

11. Innerloop

Innerloop New Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Marin...
    So this just allows me to plug an Ethernet device into my Tivo? Or does it allow multiple Tivos in the house to talk to each other faster or something?

I now understand what it IS, but not clear what I can do with it. I already pay for a Cable Modem on Comcast, so this seems redundant/overlapping with that functionality? I'm guessing I can't cancel my Cable Modem service and use this for free :)

12. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Yes. If you are just going to have one TiVo, then it would probably be pointless to use. However, if you had multiple elites or an Eliite with a TiVo Preview (which isn't available except through cable companies), it would allow you to stream easily since MOCA is very fast (faster than ethernet in most cases).

13. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    No it is only for use with the local network (your household network) AKA Local Area Network(LAN). DoCSIS is the standard for connecting to your Cable providers network, this is referred to as Wide Area Network (WAN). MoCA Has a bandwidth that is more then the Ethernet available on the Tivos. MoCA has a least 150Mbps vs 100Mbps for the Tivo's Ethernet. I am not sure how much of the MoCA bandwidth is spent on network overhead, so I can't say for sure that MoCA will end up being any faster. In my view MoCA is best if you don't have an easy way to get wired Ethernet to your Tivo.

If you have multiple Elites, they could also use this to stream between them. This would offload the traffic from the local newtork, but they would still need internet access to get updates. So you would then need a coaxial drop at your modem/router and an MoCA to Ethernet Adapter to connect it.

14. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Well, if there's no network connection near your TiVo Elite, MoCA provides an alternative to powerline network adapters or wireless as a way of connecting to your LAN. You would need another MoCA adapter at the other end of the connection, of course, although I believe FIOS boxes may also have one built in. Note that MoCA is a way of communicating internally within your LAN (only) and has nothing to do with connecting to the outside world (WAN) directly.

15. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    boy that would be nice. then I wouldn't miss Boy Meets World reruns. :up:

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The Elite has a gigabit Ethernet port. Gigabit Ethernet is faster than MoCA. But either way, the TiVo does not really take much advantage of the faster connection. The fastest I've seen my Elite speeds peak, over my gigabit connection, is around 130mb/s.

17. Innerloop

Innerloop New Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Marin...
    Thanks for the info.

Now I am tempted to replace Both my boxes with Elites to take advantage of this :)

18. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Really? I seemed to remember reading in another thread that it was only 100BaseT, I guess that was wrong.

19. Wendy in NY

Wendy in NY Member

Jan 9, 2012
    New York
    I concur!!! Nothing conflicts with nothing else. It's the BEST!!! The 2TB hard drive isn't too shabby either...

20. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Wow I didn't realize this. I knew it didn't have an ATSC tuner but I thought it still had the ability to record analog cable. However I just checked the TiVo product page and you're right, no analog.

Like you I'm on Charter and there are still about 40 channels that are analog only. I only watch a couple of them, but they're important enough that I wouldn't be able to do without them. For example Comedy Central (Tosh, Daily Show, Colbert, South Park), AMC (Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead) and FX (Louie, Always Sunny)

I was actually thinking about buying one to replace my Premier and S3 units (from 3 CableCARDs to 1 and 1 less cable split) now that I know this it's not even an option. :(

Dan