TiVo Elite recorded SUGGESTIONS instead of my SEASON PASSES!! NOT HAPPY

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by dwiller, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1 of 15
    dwiller

dwiller New Member

Sep 28, 2001
    Boston, MA, USA
    Well this was a little frustrating...

I came home tonight expecting to watch "Dancing with the Stars" and "2 Broke Girls". Both are on at 8:30. I have a Tivo Premiere Elite, so this should not be an issue. I also record "Two and a Half Men" (all are season passes).

Unfortunately, "Dancing With the Stars" and "2 Broke Girls" did not record!! The reason I saw on the Recording History on the ToDo List was "This program was not recorded because the tuner was unavailable. If you continue to encounter this problem, try restarting the TiVo Box."

However, it recorded SUGGESTIONS instead!!!!

It recorded:

6:45pm: "Interview with the Vampire" 2h15 min (so until 9pm)
    8:00pm: "Dogfight" 1hr (so until 9pm)
    8:00pm: "Six Feet Under" 1hr (so until 9pm)
    8:00pm: "Fred 2: Night of the Living Fred) 2hr (so until 10pm)

It SHOULD have recorded:
    8:30pm: "Dancing with the Stars" (this is my #1 Season Pass out of 24)
    8:31pm: "2 Broke Girls" (this is my #4 Season Pass out of 24)

I have used TiVo since 2000, and I've never had it record suggestions instead of season passes. Did the 8:30pm time start time screw it up? Is it not smart enough to realize that it shouldn't record a 8:00pm show if it is needed to record something at 8:30???? I can't believe with 4 TUNERS that I'm having Season Pass shows not get recorded.

Any ideas?????

2. Nov 1, 2011 #2 of 15
    L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    It's hard to imagine excuses for that. Has it been in use long enough to have up-to-date software and a full program guide? Could the program entries for your season passes have changed at the last minute? (In that case it really should stop suggestions as necessary, but it would be an unexpected situation.)

I would turn off suggestions, at least until the next software update.

3. Nov 1, 2011 #3 of 15
    rcobourn

rcobourn Registered Snoozer

Nov 10, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    Get into the Cable Card menu and test your tuners/channels. Make sure you are getting signal on all four tuners individually.

4. Nov 1, 2011 #4 of 15
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Even if the channels aren't available or have no signal, a suggestion will not record in it's place. Most likely there was no cable signal on those channels during the recording.

5. Nov 1, 2011 #5 of 15
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm surprised no one has asked the obvious question:

So what does the recording history say about those two items and why they weren't recorded?

6. Nov 1, 2011 #6 of 15
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    You mean what was already written in the first post?

7. Nov 1, 2011 #7 of 15
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I can't help you, but this definitely sounds like a bug. Did those shows ever show up as to be recorded previously?

(I check my to do list a lot, esp since I don't have 4 tuners..)

8. Nov 1, 2011 #8 of 15
    dwiller

dwiller New Member

Sep 28, 2001
    Boston, MA, USA
    Hi there...to answer the questions:

The TiVo has been in use for about 3 weeks. Guide data is all there. As far as I know, software is up-to-date (14.9.AB4-01-2-758).

My season passes for Dancing with the Stars had all previously recorded, but I think this past Monday night was the first night it was on at 8:30pm instead of 8:00pm. I did not adjust the Season Passes and it recorded "Dancing with the Stars" tonight with no issues.

I believe all 4 tuners on the cable card were fine, as it recorded 4 programs at that time, just not 2 of the programs I wanted. I still have the shows it recorded in my "TiVo Suggestions" list and they all play fine. Also, at 9pm, it picked up "2 and a Half Men" as it should have (season pass) which is the same channel as "2 Broke Girls" (also season pass) so that rules out any issues TiVo might have had tuning CBS.

And yes, as I noted in the original post, the recording history told me that it didn't recording my 2 shows because "the tuner was unavailable" (yeah, unavailable recording shows I didn't want!!)

I also submitted this issue with TiVo...they suggested I turn off suggested recordings, which I had done immediately last night. (Kinda kills some functionality though, because I liked checking out some things I might not have known about or heard of and having 2TB and 4 tuners should have made this a non-issue).

This is what TiVo customer service said in an email response:

"Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I would be glad to address the recording Suggestions instead of Season Passes scenario.

We can absolutely understand the frustration in regards to the unit recording Suggestions instead of your Season Passes. I would absolutely recommend disabling suggestions, at least for the time being.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/205/kw/suggestions

I have taken this case and submitted this as a feature change request to our engineering team to make this adjustment. "

So we'll have to see what happens. I really think this is a bug that is related to the 8:30pm start times, but who knows. Thanks for the suggestions/ideas.

Dave

9. Nov 2, 2011 #9 of 15
    celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I have been using tivos since 2000 and the FIRST THING i did was TURN OFF SUGGESTIONS in the menu!! i dont care if tivo ever has 10 tuners,i will always turn off suggestions because i would hate what just happened to you to happen to me!

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If it happened that all the tuners were being used for suggestions in lieu of a scheduled recording it would be a first. There have been issues with suggestions in the past but never have they had higher priority than a recording. If this is happening, then this is a major bug in the Elite software. But somehow, I think the suggestions issue is just throwing off the real issue as to why the shows weren't recording. TiVo should be able to look at the users logs to tell the real reason why.

11. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    whoops! (slowly skulks away)
    nevermind

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The way I understand it, the Tivo is supposed to cancel recording the suggestion and delete it when a user selected program is set to record, regardless of the circumstances.

Bad guide data should be the only thing that prevents a FRO season pass from recording, and I think if that had been the case here, the recording history would reflect that (this episode was not recorded because it was a repeat and the season pass is set to FRO).

13. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    I went from getting very few suggestions on my Series 3 to at least 10 per day on my Elite, its overkill

14. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    That's not unusual until the TiVo fills up with regular recordings.

15. sharkitus

sharkitus New Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Maybe the logic units in control of the Tivo really couldnt believe anyone would watch Dancing with the Stars and 2 Broke Girls? :p :p J/k

Happened to me until I took it out side and threatedned it with the "Office Space" Treatment!

Then I manually went in and set the season pass on the day and time I wanted it to record the series thiss cleared the issue.