Tivo Elite and FIOS MoCA question

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by deathpulse, Oct 30, 2011.

1. deathpulse

deathpulse New Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Complicated? question - I have a Verizon FIOS internet and TV connection. I currently get internet service through a Verizon FIOS Actiontech router. The Actointech also serves 802.11b/g wireless. I have a Cisco e3000 connected to the Actiontech to serve 802.11N (2.4 and 5Ghz) wireless. I would like to get rid of the Actiontech router, as its internal memory really limits NAT routing tables. I also just purchased a Tivo Elite. With the new Tivo Elite, can I turn on MoCA, move the COAX cable from my Actiontech router to the Elite, remove the Actiontech router from the network and connect the Cisco e3000 to the Ethernet port of the Elite (will the Elite "provide" ethernet to the Cisco)? this will enable me to get rid of the crappy NAT routing on the Actiontech - which would be a HUGE bonus!

2. pusta

pusta New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The TiVO Elite is not a router, so no. I have a very similar setup. What you can do is turn the Actiontec into a Bridge, so it basically acts as a dumb passthrough to your Cisco router, and your Cisco Router has a public IP and serves your network. This would resolve the small NAT table of the Actiontec. Check out this thread for details: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r17679150-Howto-make-ActionTec-MI424WR-a-network-bridge

Also, if you make the Actiontec a bridge, it will NOT serve an IP to your Elite over MOCA. You will need another MOCA bridge elsewhere on the network to tie in the Elite.

3. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    In most cases, the Actiontec must be the main router because your internet connection is coming from a coax cable from the ONT. If you have an ethernet cable running from your ONT (most people don't) you will need to call Verizon and BEG them to switch the ONT to ethernet. They can do this remotely. Most reps won't know what you are talking about and it may take a while to get someone who does. That is what I had to do.

You could also call them and BEG them to come and run an ethernet cable from the ONT. They don't like it and it won't be an easy conversation.

4. deathpulse

deathpulse New Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Thanks guys! I think I will have to do the bridge conversion because the ONT is all the way on one end of my apartment and running ethernet cabling to the center of the apartment would be difficult/impossible. The coax runs in every room and allows me to centrally locate the e3000. :(. Great advice - thank you both!