TiVo Elite & a 32" TV... TV purchase question.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVo_Fanatic, Dec 23, 2011.

1. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Ok, so at some point I want to replace my S2 and my S3 OLED in my bedroom and was thinking of getting an Elite and then maybe keeping the S3 downtairs and getting rid of the S2. Well, that aside... I also need a new TV but am limited to about a 32" set given the space it has to sit it an the overall size of the room it will be in. Well, I'm here to see what you guys think about what sort of features I should look for to get the best match of a 32" TV with an Elite attached to it.

For the best picture I was thinking of a 1080 model but that seems to limit me to just LCD / LED LCD TV's.

So ya, any thoughts on this one guys ?

As far as pricing goes, I don't have a big budget for a new TV but will look at pretty much anything for ideas and may even go over budget. It just depends on the overall price, right now I was entertaining ideas on eBay which seems to have some decently priced sets.

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Some of my random thoughts:

1. Do you really need 6 tuners? A premiere with a 2TB drive upgrade is going to cost allot less than an Elite.
    2. Do you want to use MRV? Does your cable company limit it? If yes and yes you may want to purchase 2 Premiere units upgrade the drives as need and then Sell the Series 3 and Series 2 units as the Premiere units are expected to be able to do MRS (multi-room streaming) with the next major software update.
    3. An Elite is going to cost more than a 32 inch TV are you sure you can not fit a bigger TV in? With a 32 inch set unless you sit 4 ft away from it and have 20:10 vision you really are not going to be able to see the full HD effect. If 32 inches is it pretty much any name brand TV will be fine. Check out this article is you would like to see what viewing distance Crutchfield recommends:

Good Luck,

3. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    1. 4 tuners currently in the bedroom. If I ditch the S2 that leaves me with two tuners in the bedroom. I then take the S3 and put it downstairs which has no tuners. I'm then left with 0 tuners in the bedroom and 2 tuners downstairs. I then get the Elite for the bedroom and am back to 4 tuners in the bedroom and now have 2 tuners downstairs so I can share shows with the downstairs family that more or less isnt allowed in my room.

2. Yes I want to share between TiVo's and no my cable company doesnt seem to limit anything. As for instand streaming, that's not a big deal for me... I can wait to transfer a show.

3. Given the size of the room and where me and the TV sit, my head is I would say 8-10 feet from where the screen would be. As for my eyes, sure, mine arent so great (far or nearsided, cant remember) but it's good enough to watch TV and drive etc. Also, I know an Elite is going to cost more than a 32" TV... as for getting bigger. Sure I could, because I do have space to play with up to maybe a 40. I was just considering the stand I'm currently using which has closed sides, it's a cabinet type thing with an open face.

Edit: I would add that the TV being replaced is a 27" CRT TV with some display issues.

4. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Ok at 8-10 ft your eyes will not be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 32 inch TV.

Just a reminder the Elite requires 100% digital cable. It doe not work with analog cable at all. Are you using cable cards with the S3 now?

Good Luck,

5. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Yes I currently am using the CC's with the S3, my provider still supports analog not that it matters much outside of the S2 which uses them.

As for 720 vs 1080... even at 8-10 feet, wouldnt the 1080 still provide a slightly better picture ?

I know the resolution isnt the determing factor in how good a set is but it does help.

Ty for the replies thus far.... also, I was also more or less asking what I should look for in a 32" set to go with an Elite if you got any thoughts on that (plasma, LED LCD, LCD etc.) or does it not really matter outside of a 720 / 1080 resolution ?

6. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Resolution and quality are not the same thing and may actually have nothing to do with each other. At this point in time I would think all of the highest quality sets are 1080p resolution. However as I said at 8-10 ft on a 32 inch TV a normal persons eyes can not see the all the resolution being provided on a 1080p screen and will not preserve more resolution on a 1080p set versus a 720p set.

Now quality is completely different and just for the record "brightness" is not an indicator of quality either. Quality are things like true-ness of color, ability to deal with motion (sports mostly), blackness of black, evenness of color etc.

The problem you are going to find at the 32 inch size is not only are you limited to LCDs (no plasmas that small) you will find that most manufactures top tier or line of sets only go down to either 40 or 42 inches so you are also locked out of the higher quality sets. Look around Cnet reviews I think none of the top sets have a 32 inch version.

Good luck,

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Once you get the Elite, threaten to discontinue the S3 and see if you can't get them to give you lifetime on it for $99.

8. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Chances are they will since they seem to be doing that for everyone else. I actually decided to go with the following TV.

Sony 32" Class LCD 720p 60Hz HDTV, KDL-32BX310