Tivo Edge or Bolt OTA devices

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by erik graul, Mar 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Mar 8, 2020 #1 of 10
    erik graul

erik graul New Member

Mar 8, 2020
    I'm trying to research my best options.

At the moment, I'm about to cut the cord, as far as cable TV goes. And the HD HomeRun is my best option as far as my needs go. I like some of the features on these Tivo's tho.

In my area, when someone shuts off their cable service. We are still able to get basic cable through the cable line. At least, that's how it was years ago. Not sure if this was a township policy, or if it was more cost-effective to leave it on, rather then send someone out, to disconnect, everytime someone discontinues their service. Not sure if they still do this, so will most likely get a antenna if need be.

Will these OTA models work with basic cable. no cable box?

Also, does this work with Plex Live TV streaming? So I can use other devices like a shield TV to watch my recordings, and Live TV.

Does this have a Pluto TV app?

Is this compatible with a NAS server, Qnap, etc for storage?

Is the hard drive upgradeable? Is it compatible with SSd's if so?

2. Mar 8, 2020 #2 of 10
    RegGuheert

RegGuheert Member

Mar 16, 2019
    I can only answer for the Bolt OTA, since I do not have an Edge.
    Bolt OTA only tunes OTA channels. As such, it will not tune cable frequencies. That said, you may find that you will get better quality video and more channels if you install an OTA antenna instead of trying to use the cable.
    TiVo has "Minis" to allow you to watch in other rooms and they have online streaming apps for iOS and Android.
    I don't see it in the list of apps
    No. TiVos work with proprietary storage.
    The hard drive IS upgradeable. You can also attach an external hard drive to the unit. That said, the newest TiVo system software, which is all that is available on the Bolt OTA, appears to have a whitelist of acceptable hard drives with all other drives being rejected. Unfortunately there are no SSDs on the whitelist, to my knowledge.

erik graul likes this.
  3. Mar 8, 2020 #3 of 10
    erik graul

erik graul New Member

Mar 8, 2020
    Ok, Thanks for the information.

This should work with Android TV. I have the Shield, and Mi Box.

4. Mar 8, 2020 #4 of 10
    erik graul

erik graul New Member

Mar 8, 2020
    Update, It does not work with Android TV, according to customer service. So that sucks...

5. Mar 8, 2020 #5 of 10
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Hydra (v21.+) does not allow transfers except when its initiated through online.tivo.com, from Premiere on up. This is only to the hydra devices.
    From hydra, it should still work.

6. Mar 8, 2020 #6 of 10
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I don't understand. What doesn't work with Android TV, Plex? It works fine.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  7. Mar 8, 2020 #7 of 10
    erik graul

erik graul New Member

Mar 8, 2020
    I wrote.

"Ok, Thanks for the information. This should work with Android TV. I have the Shield, and Mi Box."

After talking to Tivo's customer service. I then Wrote.

"Update, It does not work with Android TV, according to customer service. So that sucks..."

The Tivo devices don't work with Android TV's. Sry for any confusion. Was only leaving information, for anyone that reads this thread.

8. Mar 8, 2020 #8 of 10
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I still don't understand what doesn't work. You can transfer your recordings from Tivo to some file server, then run Plex on any platform (Android TV) and watch them. Very time consuming and cumbersome, but technically possible nonetheless.

9. Mar 8, 2020 #9 of 10
    erik graul

erik graul New Member

Mar 8, 2020
    I guess, an elaboration could be more helpful. You're right, there should be no issue transferring data from the TiVo, to a Hard drive or NAS. But I was referring to, as using those devices, (i.e Android TV devices), as receivers to watch Live TV, and Recordings from. Without, (i.e transferring files from the TiVo, to a drive manually).

Will most likely need to buy another TiVo device, something like a Mini to have that functionality...

10. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, a Mini has this functionality, and the Tivo DVR need to a model with 4 or 6 tuners, and ethernet or MoCa (via coax networking), no wifi between the 2 devices.

erik graul likes this.