TIVO Edge: + more storage?

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by angelsix, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Oct 4, 2019 #1 of 28
    angelsix

angelsix New Member

Aug 15, 2011
    I'd like more than 2tb storage for the TIVO Edge (Cable).

#1 -- does the TIVO Edge allow use of an external drive? Specs?

#2 -- any idea if TIVO is planning to release a TIVO Edge with larger internal HD?

2. Oct 4, 2019 #2 of 28
    angelsix

angelsix New Member

Aug 15, 2011
    I just found an article saying that for the Edge they deleted the E-Sata port. 2 USB ports, which theoretically could handle external drives (but I doubt it on the Edge).
    TiVo Updates DVRs with Dolby Vision and More

Limiting the storage to 2TB just seems weird to me. It isn't easy to even find a HD that's only 2TB. With 4k, I assume the files will be even bigger, and we'll still be limping along with only 2TB.

I am glad to see TIVO claims that the Edge will be quieter than the Bolt.

3. Oct 4, 2019 #3 of 28
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    In the 2.5" drives that the Edge uses, 2TB is the largest A/V hard drive that is currently in production. And it's highly unlikely that TiVo will ever allow users to use an external USB drive.

Mikeguy likes this.
  4. Oct 4, 2019 #4 of 28
    Radiolarian

Radiolarian New Member

Sep 20, 2019
    Do you think Tivo would consider selling cloud storage options at varying price levels depending on the amount of storage you use? That would give them some additional revenue.

5. Oct 4, 2019 #5 of 28
    seaninde

seaninde Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Do we need more then 2 TB of storage? I know 4K video takes a lot of space, but that's still a lot of hours of programming. I mean I don't use my Tivo as a storage library. I record shows and watch them and delete them.

6. Oct 4, 2019 #6 of 28
    tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I think it's been rumored before that they might do some kind of cloud storage, but it has never materialized. But with them inserting pre-roll ads before recorded programming for some extra revenue, it's possible that they might eventually sell extra cloud storage. But that's purely speculation on my part.

7. Oct 4, 2019 #7 of 28
    mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    Tivo/Arris could easily commission WD, etc. to make higher capacity 2.5" drives for them although that would drive the price of the DVR up a bit.

8. Oct 4, 2019 #8 of 28
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Here's something to ponder. Everyone fixates on GB of storage. But TiVo makes it somewhat difficult to find the size of a program. They quote hours of HD/SD on the box and in System Information. But just over the last 5 years the size of a 1 hour of HD program has decreased by about 30% on average. I used to complain how bit-starved my ABC and Fox channels were. But in looking back at old copies of CBS and NBC, they have become 2GB smaller. I have several TiVo boxes, and wish the year was part of the date. But just using CBS, a program that was 8GB in 2014 is now under 6GB. Why? Because my local station has added 3, then 4 sub-channels in three years. It still looks good, but it used to look great. End of mini-rant. :(

I record watch delete 80% of my programs every year. The other 20% are saved for summer.

9. Oct 4, 2019 #9 of 28
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Assuming that it's even possible to build a 2.5" PMR drive over 2TB with today's technology, I doubt that WD or anyone else would make the effort for a few thousand sales per year at most. The only other real market for AV drives is security camera DVRs, and most of them use 3.5" WD Purple drives.

TiVo didn't learn that lesson despite all the failures of 3TB Bolt drives, so the saga continues with the Edge.

jby114 and Wigohwt like this.
  10. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    It really does irk me that TiVo keeps sticking with the 2.5" drives, despite their limitations, just to make the box a little smaller. It's not like we're talking about a phone that you want to be as thin and light as possible because you're always carrying it around in your pocket. It's just a freaking box sitting on a shelf. It really doesn't matter if it's a couple of inches shorter.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  11. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    On the Bolt one can take out the 2.5" hard drive and use a cable to connect a normal size hard drive (almost any size) outside the Bolt itself, I have tried it and it works great and easy to do, I don't have an Edge so I don't know if it would be as easy.

12. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I wasn't aware of any recordable 4K content. Is there any?

13. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    FiOS offers some sports in 4K, and those are recordable.

14. seaninde

seaninde Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Right, that enhances my point. There is very little 4K anyway, so even 1080P content doesn't take that much that we really need over 2 TB for DVR. If you want to save movies forever, buy the Blu-ray or buy it on an online service to stream anytime you want. These are not movie servers, they are DVR's. People are asking Tivo to make their DVR a movie server too.

15. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And what's wrong with that, and with TiVo supplying what people want? Sounds like good business to me. :)

One of the benefits of a TiVo box is to be able to record shows as they become available from a broadcaster, and for free. And not just movies--save a season of an episodic show for later viewing. Why have to go out and buy it on DVD instead or pay per episode on a streaming service?

None of this is new: people have been using their TiVo boxes for more than simply next-day playback for many years at this point, and with TiVo catering to that (note especially the Roamio and Bolt 3TB models). Seemingly, a main reason why the Edge model doesn't have a larger capacity is the absence of larger-capacity 2.5" form factor hard drives, along with TiVo having found that the 1TB Bolt model was outpacing in sales the 3TB model. I still wish, given the hard-drive-availability factor, that TiVo hadn't succumbed to the "smaller is better" mentality for the Edge line, especially where the size difference to use a 3.5" hard drive is so small and the boxes are not meant to be portable in use*--would users really would have cared about a slightly taller box?

* TiVo even could have saved and/or made some money in the process, 3.5" drives being less expensive than 2.5" drives.

16. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    This forum has a long tradition of enhancing TiVo capabilities beyond what a stock TiVo can do. Thanks to the tireless efforts of TCF pioneers, some here had autoskip well before TiVo built it into TE4/Hydra. Others found a way to make a Roamio into a great server by upgrading the hard drive to 10TB (or beyond). That makes a perfectly fine movie server.

So, TCF isn't asking TiVo to be things that it isn't, in some cases we're showing TiVo how to become better.

It is perfectly OK if you're not interested in doing that, but we're not going to stop pushing the limits just because it doesn't fit your vision of how we should use our TiVos.

jby114, fcfc2 and mrsean like this.
  17. chicagobrownblue

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I'm downloading TV shows and movies to my PC. I play them through my Smart TV. My primary 750GB drive is not full and my secondary 750GB drive is empty -- just started though. I've yet to find any 4K movies that "fell off the truck".

Plus I have 2TB free on my 3TB Roamio, archival and OTA backup, and a 500GB Comcast X1 for current cable content.

Not really feeling the need for a new TiVo just yet.

18. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Does that X1 store your recordings on the HDD or on the cloud or both? Can you designate which one or move from one to the other? Or is every recording on the HDD mirrored on the cloud?

19. seaninde

seaninde Member

Sep 23, 2019
    The latest X1 is cloud only, no more HDD locally, so that's why the picture is so bad because they have to compress things so much. The boxes are just these lightweight junk things with a circuit board in them. Not like my old motorola box. See even live TV has to be compressed so it goes through the cloud DVR so you can pause live TV.

20. chicagobrownblue

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, it doesn't matter. Without internet access, I can not get to the locally stored content on my local X1 hard drive. I use the Roamio in OTA mode to have an alternate source of content in case of an internet outage.