TiVo Edge and "Auto" HDR Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by gamo62, Oct 11, 2019.

1. gamo62

gamo62 Member

Oct 12, 2002
    I don't think I like the fact that HDR is always on if your TV supports it. I have a LG E8, and when I stream Dolby and HDR programs, it activates accordingly. With this, it's always on. Is this normal behavior? If so, not impressed. It may be going back.

2. Bobby-Tivo

Bobby-Tivo Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Atlanta
    You can turn Auto HDR off in the video settings menu. I don't like it myself, the color changes way too much. Even the Tivo menu colors are "too rich" or something. It's a big difference when you toggle it off.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  3. gamo62

gamo62 Member

Oct 12, 2002
    Agreed. It seems to be an all or nothing setting. At least with our LG E8, HDR only comes on when a program has it embedded. With TiVo, if your TV is HDR, then it's "Automatically" turned on globally across the board. Also, I am not sure that there are any of the streaming apps for the Edge that are 4k ready. Netflix perhaps. But not Hulu and Prime. The six tuners are nice. Remind me of our Roamio. But, with our TV having all of the streaming apps, I'm not sure. And our cable co doesn't broadcast in 4k.
    I'm pretty sure that the OTA version doesn't have ATSC 3.0. Which males 4k a no go for OTA.

4. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Bolt TE4 has the same HDR setting and my TV ( Sony XBR49X900F) works fine with it on auto.
    HDR is not on in menus or at least I can't tell any difference on or off.
    About the only time I notice it is on is in Netflix but still it is fine.
    When I get Edge I will see how it goes but I suspect the same.

krkaufman likes this.
  5. gamo62

gamo62 Member

Oct 12, 2002
    On our LG, it's on all the time. Even on Broadcast TV. And I am not sure if the Prime Video app is 4k/HDR enabled. I looked up Jack Ryan, and it was not listed in 4k. So, until or if they get this fixed, I may forego the Edge and stay with my Bolt.

6. TiVo_Ted

TiVo_Ted Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    I investigated this a bit with engineering and here is what I have learned:

With TiVo BOLT, BOLT+, BOLT VOX, BOLT OTA and with MINI VOX, we support both HDR10 and HLG. When you set HDR to “Auto”, we pass through whatever we get in, and you only get HDR when you are playing back full screen video with HDR (i.e. not when video is in a PIP, the guide is up, etc.).

With TiVo Edge, we can now do “tone mapping” to convert between one colorspace/format and another. We can also up-convert SDR into “fake” HDR. So, they changed the definition of what “Auto” does to have everything map into HDR10 or Dolby Vision, depending on what the TV can support. We convert it to 4K 60Hz PQ picture curve in a bt2020 color space and 12-bit color. We also up-convert our entire UI into HDR. So, you get more rich graphics in the UI, and the video is always HDR even when it’s playing in a window or in the background.

It sounds like a similar issue that Apple ran into with Apple TV. They added another option between Off and Auto called Match Dynamic Range to pass through the various HDR formats without tone mapping them. I am requesting that we add a similar option so that EDGE can handle HDR more like BOLT does.

7. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    This is going to be bad.. Most TV's blow out the brightness in HDR so you are going to get blown out colors and such

8. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Well he said they are going to try to get it like Bolt so perhaps all will work out.

9. bjstick

bjstick New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Where are these HDR options on the BOLT VOX and MINI VOX? I've used both on my LG OLED and have never seen these options.

10. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Tivo Customer Support Community

11. bjstick

bjstick New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Interesting. That is where I expected the option to be but I don't have it there on either of my MINI VOX devices. I do see it on my Bolt, however.

12. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Option was added in the last TE4 update.
    If you have TE3 you will not have the option.

13. bjstick

bjstick New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    I have version 21.9.2.v4-USC-11 on my BOLT and both MINI VOXs. Can anyone here confirm they see this HDR option on a MINI VOX?

14. bodosom

bodosom Just another tivotee

Apr 28, 2002
    Niagara...
    I'm not getting DoVi (which is good) just HDR-10.

15. compnurd

Oct 6, 2011
    There is not an Auto option on the Mini Vox yet. It just functions as Auto

16. compnurd

Oct 6, 2011
    I would more then try

17. Gary Warner

Gary Warner New Member

Oct 14, 2019

18. Gary Warner

Gary Warner New Member

Oct 14, 2019

Tivo is doing something I don't understand with HDR. I also have a Bolt and it works completely different. First of all the metadata is contained in the content and apps that can use it to control your display settings only do so when it is present in the content. When I start the Edge my display pops up immediately withe the little HDR symbol. No content just the menu. I checked my LG display and sure enough it is locked into HDR mode. Even live tv is in HDR mode. When I launch Netflix app it switches the display settings to Dolby Vision mode. Again for content not containing Dolby vision metadata.

The Bolt only turned on the HDR mode when in an app that supported it and the content with metadata was played. I frequently have the HDMI video go unstable and require rebooting the Edge or my receiver. In addition this implementation of HDR eliminates the ability to adjust display settings for non-HDR content.

19. compnurd

Oct 6, 2011
    Well he just explained what they are doing

20. bjstick

bjstick New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Is there any known content that the MINI VOX can display in HDR? I tried Netflix content that plays in Dolby Vision and/or HDR on other devices on my TV, along with some Vudu trailers for movies offered in HDR and HDR never engaged.