Tivo DVR and Digital Cable

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by DrRalph1, Jan 12, 2006.

1. DrRalph1

DrRalph1 New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    I am considering buying a Humax DVD recorder, DRT-400, and want to understand more about how this unit will interface with my digital cable service. I have Comcast digital cable, which uses a cable box. Looking at the Humax setup instructions, it appears that I will need to run analog out from the cable box, and in to the Humax. Is that correct? Comcast offers a DVR unit that I believe is totally digital, but unfortunately lacks DVD-R. I want DVD-R, but am concerned about quality if I have an intermediate conversion to analog.

2. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    I am pretty sure you can also use either S-Video or Composite- Red/White/Yellow from cable box to Tivo and Tivo to TV so thats better quality then coaxial/rf.

You will use either seriel or IR connection from cable box to Tivo for channel changing.

3. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    It depends on your local setup. In some areas all channels are simulcast in both analog and digital, in others Basic and extended Basic Tier channels are only transmitted in Analog and HD (if available). It also depends on personal preference whether or not the recorded signal is acceptable. I have the Humax, love it and am very happy watching it on a 32" TV. Others hate it.

So best advice buy the Humax, try it and return it during the 30 day Money back period if you don't like it.

4. 2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    Can I be the one to ask a stupid question and ask you to give me some details on this?
    I currently do not have my tivo hooked up to my cable box but may decide later to do so.

5. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Your Tivo should have come with a pair of IR Blasters, these plug into the back of the Tivo and need to be mounted close to the IR Reciever on the cable box. Then when Tivo needs to change channel on the cable box it can simulate button pushes on the cable box remote.

Some Motorola DCT 2000 cable boxes have an RS232 (Serial) port on the back. If your box has the port, the correct firmware version and your cable company enables the feature, you can use the serial cable that came with your Tivo instead of the IR Blaster.

6. 2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    I noticed the cables but did not think they were needed in my connections (btw mine is not hooked up to a cable box) so I never botherd to see what they were for.
    Thanks for the explanation.