TiVo DVD units "deprecated"?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by backspaces, Jan 11, 2008.

1. backspaces

backspaces New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    This may be an odd question, forgive me if so:

Oddly enough, it seems like TiVo's with integrated DVDs, both for watching and for burning shows you want to keep, are not particularly popular.

Is this a trend of some sort? I have a Toshiba RS-TX60 that I LOVE, and indeed several friends have bought one after seeing how convenient mine is. But it's getting a bit old and I may want to upgrade to HD in the not too distant future.

I find it hard to figure out where TiVo is going with this feature. We like it because we avoid a bunch of remotes. Yes, we've used Harmony remotes, but they are confusing to most of my family. They all cheered when the Toshiba came!

So I'm considering punting on TiVo and building a component system of some sort, maybe using a Mac Mini and TitanTV for the program guide, or some other stunt that I lash together by myself.

But I'd definitely stick with an integrated TiVo/DVD system if I could. I must admit I'm suspicious it may be DRM related, but who knows!

-- Owen

2. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I share your reactions to the DVD units... we have two! A Humax and a Toshiba--and they are a real treat to use. Still, as we accumulate DVDs, I feel as if we're back to the old days of VCR tapes stacking up and taking up room!

I'd much rather have a massively large hard drive with an external drive for backup. That way everything would be available whenever we turned on the TiVo!

Still, the convenience of DVD burning is wonderful. We use R-Ws and recycle every now and then.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The bigger picture I see is that TiVo themseves don't want to make DVD combo TiVos; They left that up to their "partner" manufacturers, and currently they are dried up for those.

4. backspaces

backspaces New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    I hear you re: the large disk. I've started to download the tivo media and keep it on a large disk attached to my Mac. The downside is that the DVD burning is actually faster than the download! I'm checking into a faster wireless device on the TiVo to see if that can help.

And yup, the R-W's are great.

-- Owen

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I was enamored with my TX20 for a long time too ... but after my free year of service expired (after I transferred the Lifetime to my S3) and it reverted to TiVo Basic, I turned it off and it's been just sitting on my desk.

Unfortunately, it seemed like the DVD units were the slowest models in terms of chipset. When I upgraded the stock HD to a 200gb, performance really tanked, but I dealt with it because the convenience of burning DVDs was nice.

I still can't bear to part with it. It's nice for making quick DVDs of home movies from the camcorder as well ...

6. sledhed

sledhed New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    We still love our RS-TX20... only have TiVo basic on it since new, the convenience of burning to DVD is great. But I have to agree, the DVDs do stack up... we have spindles full of stuff we intend to watch someday. *L* With full Tivo service on it we could have transferred it to hard drive storage, but how many terabytes would that be? I am thinking we have burned 500-600 DVDs, very rough estimate. At 4G each, that is about 2 TB of disk space. And if you have that much, you need to back it up somehow... *L* At 10 - 20 cents apiece or so, I buy them on sale / rebate, that is cheaper than a failure-prone hard drive.

7. evilipoo

evilipoo Trust no 1

Apr 23, 2005
    So Cal
    I've never understood why more people don't insist on them either. I love my Pioneer. Just got a bigger hard drive and the burner fixed (seems like the Pioneer burners just don't last like the others do). I love being able to burn stuff for friends to watch later.
    My own stuff has not stacked up THAT much... just a season of Medium and some movies that came on Encore (not like I'm gonna watch all those commercials:))

8. fallingwater

fallingwater New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Bellingham WA
    If a mfr. offered the right deal to TiVo, undoubtedly there'd be another TiVo based DVD recorder. But DVD's are 'old fashioned' now that hi-def is the pitch.

Perhaps there will be a TiVo BluDisc recorder when that technology gets cheaper.

Right now E# offers expanded storage for its DVRs employing multiple USB HDD's for a one-time $40 fee. Too bad TiVo doesn't provide a similiar feature, especially as E# has recently announced an OTA only DVR with no service fee!

9. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Uh-oh! Do you think that the Weaknees Humax TiVo DVD with 500 gb Seagate drives will be bogged down? I've been thinking about getting one-- with a $150 rebate from TiVo and a great price, it could be the best of both worlds!

10. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    YMMV of course, but my TX20 definitely got slower once I upgraded the drive. At first I thought it was due to swap space, but I pulled the drive and re-initialized it with a good-sized swap area and it's still slow.

11. freeze12

freeze12 Member

Aug 20, 2006
    The Tivo DVD units are worth their weight in gold to us that own one.I have a Toshiba RS-TX20 & would not get rid of it for nothing...heck I would even like to buy another one if someone was looking to sell theirs!!

12. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    I have a Humax, but I almost never burn anything to disc on it. At best resolution, you only get 1 hr. per disk, and no control over where the program splits if it's over 1 hr. For this to really catch on, I would think that you'd have to be able to record at least 2 hrs. per disk at best quality so you could record movies or 2 episodes of something per disk. At one hour per disk, it's not worth it.

13. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    We were so used to viewing over the air that we're insensitive to video quality. We have only a regular TV, after all.

Consequently,we record everything at low quality and so get a full 6 hours on each DVD. It's great for archiving shows or even full series that we then watch during the summer or during writer's strikes! :)

14. Qwertinsky

Qwertinsky New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    As much as I hate to drive the thread off topic...

I had the same problem with Harmony remotes.

My wife hated it so much I finally just ditched it and went back to using the Tivo peanut 95% of the time, and other remotes when necessary.

15. tazzftw

tazzftw New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    I mean, at least for the Toshiba, it's not just the DVD recording, but the ability to record anything onto the hard drive. I've recently been clearing out my old VHS tapes (that's right, VHS!), and for the ones I want to keep, I record onto the TiVo, and then burn it with the DVD program. It's not the best, since you can't pause a recording for commercials, but it gets the job done.

16. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    As to the VHS to TiVo to DVD (Tinker to Evers to Chance!), I assume that you have to play the VHS tape in real time... is that right?

I'd like to transfer some things, too, but that amount of time would be daunting!

Or have you discovered a work-around?

17. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Any type of recording to the DVD units would be over analog connections and thus in real-time. No way around it that I know of.

18. rcdavis

rcdavis New Member

Jan 28, 2005

19. rcdavis

rcdavis New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Question: Since getting the Tivo Series 3, I have been using my ToshibaTX60 only for backing up HD camcorder movies, but now it will no longer record home movies. I had quit the cable box and connecting to the Tivo server, since I no longer need the TV schedule downloaded, since it is only being used to record and play back home movies. Does anyone know if the Tivo DVD models (Toshiba TX20, Humax DT800, and the Pioneer, the only Tivo units that have the home movie recording feature) will quit recording home movies if one has the lifetime Tivo subscription, but only has it hooked up for recording home movies (no cable box, no connecting to the Tivo server)?

20. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I don't know the answer, but a few data-points:

-- I took advantage of the TiVo S2/S3 lifetime transfer offer earlier this year (purchase a Bolt from TiVo, and TiVo would transfer lifetime from the S2/S3 to the Bolt for $99, and then deactivate the S2/S3). I have a Toshiba TX20. Before I did the offer, I called TiVo and asked what would continue to function on the TX20, and I was told that recorded shows would play and the box's DVD player would play; but show recordings could not be made, nor shows transferred. I didn't think to ask specifically about the ability to record from a camcorder, as I've never done that; nor did I ask about recording from a VCR or other device.

-- My TX20 hasn't been connected to my network since I took advantage of the offer (and so the TiVo servers have not been able to give the box any commands, for deactivation or otherwise). After awhile, I noticed that the box stopped making recordings, either those that I had scheduled previously from the Guide (expected) or recurring manual recordings that I had set up earlier (I had hoped otherwise). I also will get a nag screen saying that my box has not connected to the TiVo service for more than 30 days.

-- I just tried make a recording from OTA television (I have an analog-digital signal converter box connected to the TiVo, acting as the tuner) and, no go. I can't get one by pressing the remote's "record" button when a broadcast show is on, nor will the box let me schedule a manual recording.

-- I also tried just now to make a test 5-minute recording from an external input such as a VCR or camcorder. I don't recall having done this before, and chose the option to make a recording from a VCR using the TX20's front input connectors (I didn't connect a VCR for this). The box let me go through the process and seemingly started to record, but then wouldn't stop when I asked it to, using (as instructed) the stop button on the remote or on the front of the box. In fact, most of the box's functions were inoperable, apart from the DVD open tray button, and the "recording" didn't stop at the 5-minute point or beyond. I was getting concerned and the only thing I could think to do, after testing all buttons out, was to unplug the box and then re-plug it; fortunately, the start-up process started up and got me back to normal operation (and I got to watch the opening TiVo cartoon!). Which makes me wonder, does TiVo lock down this function as well, when the box hasn't connected to TiVo in the past month? (Other possibilities: perhaps the lack of an input signal affected matters; or the VCR input could be different from a camcorder input.)

A question for you, though: why not just side-step all of this and, as you have lifetime, have your box connect up to TiVo? This might just be the easiest and safest thing, absent some other issue. I think that you could set to connect up via telephone line--doesn't that still exist? (I'm not sure, as I had moved from that years ago to connection over my network and the Internet, using a purchased TiVo wireless G adapter, another option for you.)

Sorry that my experimenting didn't lead to better results. Perhaps a call to TiVo tech. support would be warranted.

rcdavis likes this.