Tivo DT

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by toddeades, Aug 8, 2007.

1. toddeades

toddeades New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    I'm thinking about getting a Tivo DT for my kids play room but I only have one cable in the room.

All I have is basic (non-digital) cable.

so my question is, will both tuners receive all channels off the one cable?

Thanks for your help.

Todd

2. smithken31100

smithken31100 Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Hockeytown
    Yes, I have one cable connected to my Tivo DT and the dual tuner functions just fine.

3. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    The TiVo DT splits the cable internally. There is only one coax input on the rear of the unit.

4. toddeades

toddeades New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    How does it work with Digital Cable? I figured it had two inputs...or is the 2nd input a RCA or something?

I'm also assuming that it using the RF blaster for the 2nd tuner if you are using digital cable.

Thanks for your help.

5. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...

You are right. The single coax feeds the Analogue tuners. There is not digital tuner, a set top box tunes the digital channels and feeds the picture to the DT via RCA. The DT controls the set top box via RF blasters.

This means only one digital channel can be tuned but two analogue channels can be tuned. A combination of the digital and one Analogue channel is also possible.

6. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    I never noticed that but you're right, you can get two analogue channels with the one coax input. That was nice to know.