Tivo drops off wireless network, low signal strength

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TiVonUb27, Dec 3, 2005.

1. TiVonUb27

TiVonUb27 New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Hi. I'll get to my problem in a second, first I want to explain my setup.

I have 2 Tivo Series 2 devices, one in living room and one in bedroom. Each device is connected with a WG111 54 MBPs that connects to my NETGEAR WGR614 router. Each device is about 30 ft from the router and the router and Tivo's are separated by a wall.

The first one I installed was the one in the living room, that one is still going strong. My problem is the one in the bedroom. For some reason, I get horrible signal strenghts, i.e 10 - 40% of a signal. When I transfer high/best quality shows from one Tivo to another the bedroom Tivo seems to always fall off the network and then I have to reboot the Tivo in order for it to regain an IP address.

How can I make the signal strength stronger? Can anyone help me with any possible solutions? I was thinking of maybe purchasing a signal repeater, or wireless bridge but am not sure which ones to buy or if either of those would actually help my signal strength.

I know a wired network will resolve all issues, but, I'm not going to start putting holes in walls in an apartment that I'm going to be moving out of... :)

Thanks in advance (and I mean it! these forums helped me realize that I couldn't buy a DirecTivo because it wouldn't allow for the USB adapter!)

2. steve841

steve841 New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    I guess you've tried repositioning the usb adapter with the cable they provide? Same with the router...

Also, if you are only using G ...you can try to set your router to G only not mixed... may help.

And a static ip is always best for something like this...

3. no-blue-screen

no-blue-screen New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    If you have not done so already, try checking the netgear website for updated firmware for your router. You are specifically looking for the XR feature which may help you out a little. Also, try using a different wireless channel on your router. Some of your neighbors may have their own wireless networks, which will cause a lot of interference and reduced range. I use channel 11. Also, I am not sure if your router supports turbo or 108mbps mode, but if it does, try disabling it to see if that improves your signal stregnth. Good luck.

4. mbarlowm

mbarlowm New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    I have this same problem. I have two TiVos and I bought wireless adatpers from the tivo website to make sure they were compatible. I have a wireless range extender and I'm sure both units are using it because they are quite far away from the router. The service is able to connect OK, but if If I ever try to transfer programs between tivos or to and from the computer, it does about half at dang slow rates, and then it drops and I have to restart the tivo in order to get it to connect again.

Here's the strange thing, I can set my laptop right near the tivo and get a "great" singal at full spped, but the tivo says "poor". Could there be interference from the electrical equipment? I'll try the extension cable to see if that helps.

If tivos are on a wired network, how long does it take to transfer an hour program (for whatever quality recording you know of)?