TiVo drive back to win 7 use help

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by nocomp, Aug 11, 2011.

1. nocomp

nocomp New Member

Jan 31, 2003
    down south
    Hi

So my TiVo s1 has been replaced by vm TiVo and I want to use the 1tb samsung drive that I had in the s1 for use in my win 7 pc.

So I removed the drive from the TiVo and tried to attach it via a USB connection (one of those boxes that you plug a hd drive into) and the drive icon flashes briefly in my computer then disappears and I cannot access or see the drive. The box also has USB slots for other key drive which I can plug in and use with no issues.

So, any idea what I need to do to get the samsung drive to be used on the pc?

Many thanks

Nocomp

I

2. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
  3. nocomp

nocomp New Member

Jan 31, 2003
    down south
    Hi again

Apologies for being a bit thick, but I get as far as seeing the c: drive but not any others when I try to create the new partition, all other drive letters say no media.

Am I supposed to create the partition on the c: drive.

Thanks

Nocomp

4. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    No don't touch the C: drive !

You should see something like this (disk1)
    [​IMG]

Right click on the black "unallocated" area and select new partition.

5. nocomp

nocomp New Member

Jan 31, 2003
    down south
    Hi again
    No luck I,m afraid, the disk spins, changed USB cable and I still can't see the drive. Starting to think that the drive is duff, has not been used for about 6 months out of a life of just a year.

Ah well thanks for your help and advice

Nocomp

6. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    You could try downloading the diagnostic utilities from www.samsung.com which would let you check if the drive is OK.

7. bri_tal

bri_tal New Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Connect the Samsung drive to your pc via a spare ide cable (or sata if your pc has sata drive). Boot up the pc into windows then right click on my compter, left click on manage>disk management, then right click on the Samsung (probably drive 1), delete partition, right click again and select create partition, format (quick format) choosing Ntfs.

8. nocomp

nocomp New Member

Jan 31, 2003
    down south
    Ok update...
    Don't know why but I decided to boot my win 7 pc into safe mode. Ran manage as suggested and lo and behold windows saw the drive, partitioned it and formatted it fine. Rebooted back to normal win 7 and I could see the drive, all 931 mb and could write and read files.

So who said pc were logical! I can only guess that there is a configuration switch somewhere that stopped the USB from seeing the disk until. It was a windows formatted pc

You live and learn thanks to all for support and advice

Nocomp

9. bri_tal

bri_tal New Member

Sep 21, 2005
    You did mean 931 GB, I hope !

10. nocomp

nocomp New Member

Jan 31, 2003
    down south
    Yes, it was at the end of a very long day!