TiVo displays "Important message"

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by qwiki, Jan 28, 2011.

1. qwiki

qwiki 8 R/C's and counting

Feb 28, 2002

Advertisements

Just pressed the Tivo button and rather than going to the menu, I got the following:-

Cool! :cool:
    Things are happening.

2. qwiki

qwiki 8 R/C's and counting

Feb 28, 2002
    Also appears as a regular message under 'TiVo messages'

3. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Not for Tivos in non-cable areas they're not. :(

4. Muttley1900

Muttley1900 Member

Dec 22, 2008
    True, but as one of those people not in a cabled area, I have to admit to still being excited about the VM/Tivo arrangement and mainly as Tivo is coming back and very interested to see how it all plays out for those of you who can get it.

I'll just sit in hope that there will be an alternative for us non cabled area people at some point.

J.

5. deshepherd

deshepherd New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Bristol, UK

Advertisements

This sounds like a generic message to all TiVo users ... is there a "special" message pending for those of us who signed up on RoyFox's list here ... do we need to sign up on this web page as well?

6. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    got my message, though registered on that site on Friday. Just waiting on my phone call now. :)

7. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Doubt it. Too much work to send a specific message to only those units whose numbers match the list. I assume anyway :)[/QUOTE]

8. childe

childe Tivoer since 11/2000

Jan 22, 2001
    Leeds, UK
    I have not received this message on my Tivo. Is this because I have already registered with Roy Fox and both virgin Tivo sites? Or have they just lost my records?

Coincidentally, and just before seeing this thread, I just called Virgin on a different matter and asked them for any news on my new Tivo. The lady I was put through to said no installs would be before March. And no mention of any special offer. I'm hoping she was just misinformed.

9. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    Sounds to be misinformed, as the message clearly says S1 owners are going to get a very special offer :)
    Suppose the install date could be correct though as depending on demand and such and how many engineers per area are fully trained at launch.

10. m1ke

m1ke New Member

May 3, 2002
    birmingham
    >TV package and a brand new TiVo box at a very special price.
    Find out more and be one of the first to get this offer at
    virginmedia.com/tivoupgrade

....so you go online, and guess what, the service still is not actually available yet. its just another sign up for information screen (that we've all already done)

quite frankly i am getting very ******* off with virgin, they should either bring out the the new Tivo or not, give is an upgrade offer, or dont, just do something! instead of all this 'ooh you got heare early' marketing crap (from the previous virgin tivo page).

I love my S1 tivo and would like to ditch Sky, but this has gone on too long now, if they dont bring the new box out in the next week or two i will very very reluctantly be upgrading to sky hd instead.

11. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    To be fair to VM, that's all they've actually done so far. The actual marketing of the product hasn't happened at all yet. :)

12. m1ke

m1ke New Member

May 3, 2002
    birmingham
    ...thats my point

they have been marketing this for ages now, promising the service last year, lots of press releases, lots of sign up for information...

..and

its still not here.....

13. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    anyone else notice the message has an expiry date of the 4th? may not mean anything but is that when this offer will close / we have had phone calls.

in ref to waiting and delays i remember Sky advertising the HD boxes on tv for months even though they didn't actually have any. even a year after the box was on sale i still had to sign up on a waiting list before i actually got the box.

the only thing with vm is the fact they haven't given any launch dates at all.

14. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    No they haven't.

Technically that did happen; though it was 500 employees, but they did have to pay for it just like customers.

Two is not my definiton of "a lot" :)

There's one form. Two if "ours" (ie for S1 owners) is different.

Which is, of course, annoying. :(

15. m1ke

m1ke New Member

May 3, 2002
    birmingham
    >>Two is not my definiton of "a lot" :)

i agree if there were only two but if you actually count the press releases refering to Tivo there were 10 in the last year :)

16. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    No I don't. I'm only counting those that have been specifically about Tivo and mention it in the title of the PR.

Erm... wrong.

One
    Two

That's it.

Yes, there has been a lot of press coverage and people talking to the press, but there has only been two official Press Releases. Unless they forgot to put them all on the website I suppose :D

17. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    You're both wrong, I count four, but two are the same so three.

18. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    One in 2009 and one (repeated) in 2010. What's the other one?

19. okonski_uk

okonski_uk Decrepit Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Glasgow,...
    Well, I can confirm the message reported as being sent to Tivo users was just that. My son (who uses his with Sky, as he's not in a cabled area) got the message as well - and hadn't registered on the Virgin site.

So it would appear this is a generic offering to all S1 users who can sign up to Virgin Media. I start to get bored with 'special price' promises - especially when after Roy's sterling (unpaid) work, we're all in the same boat regardless.

Time, as they say - will tell!

20. deshepherd

deshepherd New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Bristol, UK
    Well, knowing VM's usual pricing strategy we may be in a seperate boat VM have reserved for people who are really really keen to get the new VM-TiVo and thus don't need to be offered much of an incentive to sign up! This would be consistent with the way they offer rates to new subscribers that are below the price people who've been with them for years have to pay.