Tivo + Dish Network

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by spagirl, Aug 2, 2007.

1. spagirl

spagirl New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Hi everyone, I am new to this site. I tried searching for my problem initially, but the search function is currently down, so I apologize if this has been covered before.

I have 3 years (well, 2.5 now) prepaid Tivo service plus the 80 hour single tuner box. I moved in with some new roommates and they elected to choose Dish Network with DVR. I have heard so many different things from several tech support reps regarding using the two together. I had wanted to use Tivo in my room, but apparently I can't because it needs to be hooked directly into the receiver box (which would be in the living room. We would go into dual mode on the Dish Network box so I could have tv in my room). But then, when I called back and asked how I might go about doing this, they said the Tivo cannot be used with the Dish Network box because they will 'fight each other" - direct quote.

Is there any way I can use the Tivo with Dish Network? I suppose I could just sell the subscription to someone else but would rather not go through the trouble. Any insight would be appreciated, and sorry if this post is confusing, thanks in advance.

2. tai-pan

tai-pan New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    semi-rural GA
    I'm trying to understand. Is the Dish DVR in your room or just the receiver and the tivo? Dish and tivo can get along. I have Dish and a few others do too but I'm not familiar with their DVR. I'm afraid all I know with some certainty is you can keep your subscription.

3. spagirl

spagirl New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    The Dish DVR receiver is in the living room. On Monday, they are coming to run a line into my room, and utilizing the Dual mode on the box so I get a signal. So we will only have one Dish receiver box.

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    In order to use your TiVo with the dishnetwork setup you quoted you need a second dish network receiver. What you want them to do is setup a Dish 311 receiver in your bedroom then you will be able to use your TiVo to control and record from it. If they just run a cable from the dual tuner DVR to your bedroom you will not be able to use your TiVo with it.

They will normally charge you $6/mo extra for the second receiver.

Good Luck,

5. tai-pan

tai-pan New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    semi-rural GA
    I'm sure someone more technically able will see your post and answer your question but off the top of my head I don't know how you'd get the tivo to change the channel without your own receiver box. That's why I just spent $130 replacing my fried receiver with Dish's standard 311 model receiver instead of running a line from my dad's Dish DVR in the living room.

6. tai-pan

tai-pan New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    semi-rural GA
    they only charge an extra $6 a month if you use it on more than 1 TV but the 311 only supports 1

7. monique_3

monique_3 New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    does anyone know the keys for dishnetwork???????????????????

8. tai-pan

tai-pan New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    semi-rural GA
    keys?

9. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Likely keys to pirate the service, which is illegal and OT here.

I could give the tongue-in-cheek but true answer they are supplied by Dishnetwork and automatically downloaded to properly authorized legal hardware.