Tivo Discord

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sam1070, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Sep 1, 2019 #1 of 43
    sam1070

sam1070 New Member

Jan 18, 2016

Advertisements

I created a Tivo Discord as I noticed that there was not one

I create a TIvo community one and a regular TiVo without community on it
    if you guys prefer one or the other I will delete the other one

I linked them below

Join the Tivo Community Discord Server!

Join the Tivo Discord Server!

2. Sep 1, 2019 #2 of 43
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Why?

BTW, both links crashed. Windows 10 with IE11. Works with Edge.

Expat and dlfl like this.
  3. Sep 1, 2019 #3 of 43
    gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    Beat me to it. Kids like the discord so they can swear and yack at each other about nothing. I don't see why adults that own homes and Tivos would need one, but to each his own.

dlfl likes this.
  4. Sep 1, 2019 #4 of 43
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    I guess the fact that this is the first I've ever heard of Discord makes me officially old. Eh, I'm OK with that.

Dan203, alexb, fcfc2 and 2 others like this.
  5. Sep 1, 2019 #5 of 43
    unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN

Advertisements

Discord? Is that when you throw away something?

Oh wait..thats discard :D

6. Sep 1, 2019 #6 of 43
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    TCF *is* TiVo discord.

trip1eX, dlfl, kokishin and 3 others like this.
  7. Sep 1, 2019 #7 of 43
    KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    i sign into Discord for some low-traffic special interest communities. I'll give your links a try later tonight.

8. Sep 2, 2019 #8 of 43
    foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I cant stand discords

gigaquad likes this.
  9. Sep 2, 2019 #9 of 43
    gary.buhrmaster

gary.buhrmaster Active Member

Nov 5, 2015
    And this is different than many other online communities and forums (this one included) how?

Of course adults (in your usage) would probably use slack, teams, or spark (or one of a number of alternatives) rather than discord, but everyone communicates differently, and while I happen to have my own preference order (and discord is far far far down that list), I respect that others have a different way to interact, and it is not impossible to imagine that discord will be where all the cool kids end up discussing TiVo next week (and I would need to accept that that would be the final confirmation I never was, and never will be considered, a cool kid, and would never be sitting at their channel. And to paraphrase NashGuy, I am OK with that).

MScottC likes this.
  10. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    So what is the advantage of Discord over all the other forums around?

dlfl likes this.
  11. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    the links work -- as copy-paste into the Discord app on my desktop. I will never use the voice/audio feature, so it's just a glorified IRC* to me. I think Discord is mostly popular with gamers who want to watch each other play video games and have a parallel chat window and integrated stream. Also, "kids these days" seem to prefer vocal conversation over typing text.

One advantage of Discord over IRC is that the conversation is logged when I'm not there, so I don't miss anything. An advantage of Discord over a forum** is that people can chat in real time as a group or take it to private instant messages rather than waiting to refresh or reload a forum thread. (And people on forums hate it when you create a long page of replies for a casual conversation.) The advantage of Discord over Slack, etc., is that I'm already running Discord and not Slack.

In the olden days of watching TV shows live, having a place to chatter and speculate about a show with other fans was very popular. I personally don't feel the immediate need to discuss my TiVo Premiere with others in real time.

*IRC = internet relay chat, a group chat room protocol

**My old-lady brain kept wanting to call it this a BB, but do kids these days even think of a forum as a "bulletin board" anymore? Ahh, history.

12. gary.buhrmaster

gary.buhrmaster Active Member

Nov 5, 2015
    One advantage of early places like CompuServe were moderators (sysops) who were mostly conscientious and deleted stupid before it escaped to the rest of the world. But volunteer editors/moderators was never an entirely sustainable model as things grew in scale.

Sonyad likes this.
  13. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Active Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    I was a sysop on CompuServe back in the day. I created and ran the Consumer Electronics Forum for 12 years. I miss those days. :)

JandS, Sonyad and gary.buhrmaster like this.
  14. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Oh, you mean like a phone call????

:D

gigaquad likes this.
  15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    How did we ever survive before we had all these modern internet social networks? Answer: quite well! :p

pj1983 and gigaquad like this.
  16. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    This guy created a bunch of these on various forums. I would imagine there is an agenda

gigaquad likes this.
  17. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    anyone can set up a discord.

18. alexb

alexb Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    I use the ubiquiti networking equipment discord and a few others. so there is a valid use case even for old folks like some of us here. Though i have noticed the one thing this community hates is any form of change - lol.

Basically discord is great for anything that demands realtime back and forth, notifications, etc and is great way to create community relationships. It is not great for persistent / searchable information.

I suspect they only agenda the person has is they like discord communities. Gawd this forum is a little tin-foil-hat wearing at times.

19. alexb

alexb Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    yes it is a glorified IRC / BBS :) whats old is new again ;-)

20. alexb

alexb Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    whats the difference between the two - two seems superfluous...