TiVo Direct Can't Do Service Transfers?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Graymalkin, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I tried to buy one of the refurbished Series 3 directly from TiVo today.

I have a Series 1 from 1999 which has a grandfathered free lifetime service transfer to the machine of my choice. I was hoping to do that with the refurb S3.

Unfortunately, TiVo says it cannot sell units directly without attaching a new service agreement to it.

I could buy the Series 3 at retail and have the lifetime service transferred that way -- but I won't get the great refurb deal. If I can find any S3s at retail.

I might eventually get a TiVo HD, but there's no rush for that. And TiVo loses a chance to get an additional $200 from me.

Ah, well.

2. litkaj

litkaj Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Exton, PA
    Don't you get a 30-day money back guarantee or something like that? Couldn't you buy it with the lowest level of service, cancel, and then transfer your lifetime?

3. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I asked about that the last time I bought a new TiVo, and the answer was no.

4. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    You should be able to do this.......

Paging TiVoPony!!!

5. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    So in other Words you have Grandfathered Free Lifetime Service transfer that means nothing. Tivo will not even honor their own offer to you?

Thats got to be the biggest b.s I have ever heard. Tivo is really sticking it to you aint they?

I do not see how you could not purchase a refurbed Series 3 from tivo's own site and transfer the service to that unit. Come on Tivo, why are you sticking it to your own Customers who have stood by you?

6. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    What I am guessing is a possible combination of two things.

One, the default characteristics of their sales/service systems may not normally allow (technically) a TiVo to be sold from TiVo without attaching a service plan purchase on the same order. However, I would have to assume there is a way for them to get around this. It's just a matter of the right person from TiVo getting it done for you.

Add to that that a lot of the TiVo Service Reps seem to not know what they are talking about.

Thus, someone at TiVo such as TiVoPony will hopefully see this thread and get you taken care of.

7. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Which is pretty much why I posted it. :)

TiVoPony and TiVoOpsMgr have always come through for me in the past.

8. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I am sure they will again.

9. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Why not call Tivo and tell them that since your unit and lifetime service transfer offer they gave you are worthless, you will be sending the unit back and cancelling service.

If it was any other Company you would have those shouting out "Lawsuit". Tivo is not even honoring the Service Transfer you purchased.

But then again its Tivo, and Tivo never does anything bad to their Customers do they?

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    in this case there may not be much they can do. It is the policy that any Tivo bought from TiVo directly be sold with a service plan. This policy has been there for more than a year. It also gets in the way of people like me who have old month to month subscriptions I would rather transfer instead of starting a new sub.

The way TiVo inc would honor your grandfathered transfer or allow me to transfer an existing sub is to buy a Tivo from retail or through the secondary market like Ebay. I think that will be your answer no matter who at TiVo you ask.

There is a 200$ rebate on S3 right now and I bet if you shop around you will find some good deals from places afraid their S3 stock will not move compared to the Tivo HD

11. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Where is this $200 rebate? And is that why Amazon can advertise the S3 at $579 instead of $799?

12. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    One possible way around it, if a Tivo CSR really can't help you ...

1) Buy the refurb.
    2) Select a service plan.
    3) Cancel the service plan within the 30 day period (e.g. the day you get the box and before it calls in to the mothership)

Now you have an unsubbed, "new" S3 with no service on it.

Call Tivo and take advantage of the GFLT transfer offer.

13. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I'll have to remember this for the future!

14. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    I believe that when you use the 30 day guarantee option on a bundle purchase from tivo.com (and every purchase from there is a bundle) that you have to return the tivo.

15. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    After some more consideration, I decided that the TiVo HD was a better fit than the Series 3, and I ordered an upgraded one (double the recording capacity) from Weaknees for $450. Once I get that next week, I'll get the grandfathered lifetime service transferred to it.

I also upgraded my Comcast service (which has been very good -- extraordinarily so compared with so many other folks here) to digital cable, Internet, and Internet phone with the Triple Play promotion. Plus two Cable Cards. That brings my cable/Internet/phone costs per month down from $147 to $110 for the first year, with better cable and phone service than before. A no-brainer, really.

Now what I need is an HD TV...

16. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    The rebate is here. And it doesn't actually kick in until Sunday - so don't go buying an S3 just yet.

And no, that price at Amazon is *pre-rebate*. Plenty of places have the S3 for $600 or less, and the rebate will bring it to $400 or less.

17. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Based on that Web site, it looks like I'd be ineligible for the rebate because of the lifetime service transfer. I think I'll be OK with the TiVo HD.

18. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I got the TiVo HD today. Set it up. Called TiVo. Got a CSR in three minutes. Took her three more minutes to transfer the lifetime service from the S1 to the HD. Two hours later, the HD is showing "Lifetime Service" on TiVo.com and in System Info.

Now I just need (1) Comcast to come install the CableCards and (2) my new HDTV to be delivered. Yeah, baby!

19. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Well atleast some progress has been made :D

Good luck with the Comcast install, and enjoy the New HDTV :D

20. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    oh shoot- you are correct. sorry about the misdirection on that