TiVo did not resume from pause point.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by MPSAN, Jul 9, 2009.

1. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...

Advertisements

I am not sure if I did anything wrong, but a show started over after watching 15 minutes of a 1 hour show.

According to this....

Can I pause a recording in one room and resume it in another?

Yes. With MRV, you can pause a recording in one room and then resume it in another.

The TiVo will transfer from the pause point, so you can resume immediately from where you left off, without delay.

What I did was this. We had a 1 hour show on the BEDROOM TiVo. We started watching on the FAMILY ROOM TiVo. After about 15 minutes, my wife said we may as well go into the Bedroom. I hit Pause on the FAMILY ROOM TiVo and then Live TV and turned the TV off. When we got to the BEDROOM, there was no resume option and play just started it over. Should I have hit Pause and NOT gone to live TV? If that is so, then once you pause a show you can not use that TiVo for anything else...I just assume I did something wrong.

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    If I understand correctly, the show was transferred FROM the Bedroom to the Living Room where you started watching?

The MRV transfers work like this--If you were watching in the Bedroom where it was originally recorded, you could go to the Living Room and transfer the show from where you left off or from the beginning. Pausing and going to Live Tv means nothing.

3. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    So, it matters where it was originally recorded? Yes, it was recorded in the Bedroom, but I was not sure it mattered.

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    You started watching this one-hour show by selecting it from the NPL, right? If you just tune in to a recording-in-progress by selecting it from the guide, rather than selecting it from the NPL, then the TiVo won't save your place.

Back on your main TiVo, do you see the resume option? If you see the resume option on the main TiVo, then you should see it on other TiVos too.

5. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002

Advertisements

If you transferred the original recording from the Bedroom TiVo to the Family Room TiVo you essentially made 2 copies of the same program (assuming you transfer the entire program). TiVo does not stream the program for MRV, it copies a new file onto the target TiVo. Once transferred the 2 copies work independently from one another.

The FAQ that you posted in your first post refers to a scenario where you started watching the program in the Bedroom, then decided to go to the Family Room. When requesting the transfer on the Family Room TiVo (from the bedroom) - If you were 15 minutes into a 1 hour program , TiVo gives you the option of A)transferring the entire program, or B) transfer from where you left off when you stopped watching in the Bedroom. This is so that you do not have to wait to resume watching from where you left off.

6. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    This was NOT a recording in progress. I removed the show from the BEDROOM. I can look to see if the FAMILY ROOM still shows it.

However, does it matter where I record the original show as long as I do not try to watch it in progress?

7. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Thank you. I will look out for this in the future, but I did not know that the original source TiVo mattered as long as it was from the NPL, and it was not in the process of being recorded..