TiVo DeslTop (Free)

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by coreybryant, Apr 16, 2011.

1. coreybryant

coreybryant Texan at Heart

Mar 1, 2003
    Castle Rock, CO
    I think my last part of the question was lost so I thought I would ask here.

We have the (free) Desktop version and on the support page it says the free supports Also, we have a Dell Venue Pro (Windows Mobile 7), Dell Streak 7 (Android 2.2.2), iPhone, and iPad. Will upgrading to the plus allow us to use these? Support said yes, but I have concerns.

TiVo® Desktop software (PC only) supports the following portable media players:
    • Windows mobile devices (with video playback capability)
    • Treo 700w
    You can upgrade to TiVo Desktop Plus to convert shows for playback on your iPod, iPhone, Blackberry, PSP or other compatible device, or to transfer compatible web videos to your TiVo box for viewing on your TV.
    • Apple iPod
    • Apple iPhone and iPod Touch
    • ARCHOS Android Tablet
    • Blackberry Bold
    • Blackberry Curve 8900
    • Blackberry Curve
    • Blackberry Pearl
    • Blackberry Storm
    • Blackberry Tour
    • DROID by Motorola
    • Nokia N80
    • Palm Pre
    • Palm Treo 650
    • Sony Playstation Portable (PSP)
    • Zune
    • Zune HD
    • h.264 compatible device
    • MPEG-4 compatible device
    So I have a Windows Mobile 7, will that work with the free version but not the paid version?

I see it should work with the iPhone / iPad, but what about the Dell Streak 7(Android 2.2.2.)? Any other programs that maybe I should take a look at it?

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    The free version of Desktop only supports transferring .TiVo and MPEG-2 files to or from your DVR. The Plus upgrade adds a bunch of codecs that let you transfer some additional file formats to the DVR, and convert .TiVo files to a format suitable for most portable devices.

I think it's worth the $25 upgrade just to have the codecs, but you can do everything with free tools. To download files and convert them for your mobile devices kmttg will do everything you need. To send files back pyTivo works well.

The .TiVo file format is basically encrypted MPEG-2 with a wrapper containing metadata like the name of the show, etc. Windows Mobile devices will not play them directly, but by converting your files to MPEG-4 with Plus or kmttg you will be able to play them.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I wouldn't bother buying the Tivo Desktop Plus upgrade.
    There is free software out there that will strip the .tivo wrapper and output a regular .mpeg file. Directshow Dump is one such program.
    Then you could use other free alternative software that will convert shows for mobile devices. Chances are, the website for a particular mobile device will have software to convert shows for their device.
    Of course this means more steps involved, but it's free...

4. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    After using Directshow Dump, RipBot can batch (or singly) transcode the shows to mp4, mkv, divxplus and avchd formats with a simple click. Many smart phones can play one or more of those options.

FWIW, your Dell Streak supported video:
    H.263 / H.264, .3GP, MPEG4, WMV

and audio and speakers support:
    MP3, WMA, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, Midi, WAV

5. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    Why mess with all these free ware conversion(S). Seems like an awful lot to save $25 and a WHOLE lot of steps. If you can afford a Tivo then you should be able to afford the $25 and make your life a little simpler!

6. Darr247

Darr247 New Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Michigan
    I concur. I'm all for open source and free software... I have linux on a desktop and dual-boot my laptop, but I didn't bat an eye at upgrading to TDP.
    Now I can take my time gathering/installing/learning kmttg (it takes quite a while to wade through 3000+ messages 30 at-a-time... it would be nice to have the option in UCP to display 30,50,100,200 messages per page in the forums, btw).

With 2 terabyte drives under $100, Kingwin trayless racks about $17, and HDD Storage Tanks under $4, I don't know why people can't auto-transfer/save whatever series/movies they want, right on hard drive. Your SATA ports just have to support AHCI mode to notice the swapped drive without rebooting.

7. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    The kmttg wiki pages are much easier to navigate, and answers most questions directly.

8. coreybryant

Mar 1, 2003
    Castle Rock, CO
    Thanks! I just basically wanted to make sure that if we did buy the program I would be able to download / watch the shows on the phones. The support representative did not know that you could connect a storage device via Ethernet.

I just wished they would have the option to store programs to different locations like the other one {iTiVo}.

9. Darr247

Darr247 New Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Michigan
    Do you mean the support tech was not aware of network attached storage per se?

You can have a NAS box... you just can't tell TDP to store them on it, nor will TDP see any files on the NAS device.

But if you move the .tivo files from the TDP save subdirectory (or 'folder' as microsoft calls them) to the NAS drive, you can still view them from other windows machines on your network by just double clicking on them (as long as TDP has been installed on that computer to add the codec and the file association).

USB drives work fine for it, though.

10. coreybryant

Mar 1, 2003
    Castle Rock, CO

Yes. I called them to see if I could connect to the network attached storage (via Ethernet). I had tried to do that on he 2.7 version, but the 2.8 version will connect to the storage.

Basically, I like to know before I try it. That way, I know I might be messing something up, etc.

I swear last night I was able to connect the TiVo Desktop to the the external drive. I forgot I had done that, and when I went to the TV, I looked at what was on TiVo Desktop. However, no shows were listed.

I went back to the TiVo Desktop and put it back on the same drive that had all the shows. When I went back to the TV, I saw my shows.

11. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Create a shortcut to your NAS drive on your computer desktop. Verify that it goes to where you want it to.
    Then cut/paste the shortcut into your My Tivo Recordings folder.

This works for my USB connected external hard drives, but I don't know if it will work with a NAS drive.

12. Darr247

Darr247 New Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Michigan
    As long as it's had a drive letter assigned (use Disk Management to assign one if it hasn't), TDP can browse directly to and select a subdirectory on any USB-attached drive on the same computer.

I'm running 2.8.2 here. When I map the UNC path (or \\IP\sharename) to a drive letter then browse to one of my NAS boxes and select a subdirectory - e.g. T:\MyTivo - sure, the subdirectory is selected, but the OK button is greyed out so TDP won't actually use it. See attached.

[​IMG]

edit1:
    But I don't need the T:\MyTivo subdirectory to show up in TDP, either... as long as TDP's installed, I can browse to T:\MyTivo in windows explorer, double-click the show I want to watch, and it's streamed to windows media player on my laptop... no problem. It just makes me wonder why the TDP authors bother prohibiting the use of NAS drives for direct storage when it doesn't stop people from watching shows stored on a NAS box anyway.

Attached Files:

13. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I don't think they prohibited NAS units, they just didn't enable them. They just created a simple program that only understands drive letters. Like a lot of other stuff about Windows, it's still crippled/enslaved by DOS.

14. coreybryant

Mar 1, 2003
    Castle Rock, CO
    I also have the greyed out option. I went into My Computer - Tools - Map Network Drive. I can then go into the TiVo desktop and see the drive. I can even create a folder, but I also get the greyed out option.

I can't copy / paste anything into the File Location (TiVo Desktop - File - Preferences). I did a screencast TiVo Desktop 2.8.2 just in case (maybe someone will see a mistake I made)

I was trying to re-read through this thread, but I did not see it : Can I copy some of the shows that are on one HD to the NAS? And then when I need them, can I move them back?

15. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    While you cannot get TiVo Desktop to save to the NAS, you can add a shortcut to a NAS directory into the My TiVo Recordings folder on your local hard drive and see the files on the NAS for transfer back to the DVR. You can set up a recurring batch file to move files to the NAS if that is where you want them kept, but be carefull not to copy the shortcut to the NAS. TiVo Desktop gets really confused if it sees a shortcut loop.

16. coreybryant

Mar 1, 2003
    Castle Rock, CO
    OK, thanks... Basically, there are probably 10 or so shows that I can move - we are not watching them now, but I don't want to delete them either. So instead of setting up the batch, I can just cut / paste them over to the NAS. And then if we decide to watch them, I can just copy them back?

17. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Once TiVo Desktop copies recordings into the "My Tivo Recordings", they're files on your computer. You can do the same with them as other files. If you decide you want your MTR folder on a different partition on a drive that your computer sees as a drive letter, you can do that, and move or copy the files from the old MTR folder to the new one, and your TiVo will see them in the new folder and can copy them back to itself. (TiVo calls it "transfer", but the original isn't deleted automatically, so it's really copying)

And you can copy those files to other computers on your network or to NAS drives on your network, just like any other file. But TDP will only see files in the MTR folder, and only, it seems, if that MTR folder is on a drive and partition that the computer running TDP sees as a drive letter.

At least that's how it works with that file transfer speed thing box NOT checked. (I've only got S2s that can work with TDP, so it's not an option for me).

As I understand it, that checkbox decides if you get a program stream or transfer stream, or something like that, so I don't know if the high speed choice gives you a "real" file or not.

18. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    It's not even necessary to move them back. Just create a shortcut in your My TiVo Recordings folder that points to the folder on your NAS. Desktop will find the shows there and list them. In Desktop everything will be listed in one flat list, but on your TiVo you will see the shortcut as a folder and the shows will be in it. I have several shortcuts like Cooking & Movies to different drives and folders just to organize my shows better.

19. coreybryant

Mar 1, 2003
    Castle Rock, CO
    OK - got it! Thanks for the help. I usually tend to do and then have to fix it later. :)