TiVo Desktop Why Are You So Horrible??

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bigl31, Mar 27, 2011.

1. bigl31

bigl31 New Member

Mar 27, 2011

Advertisements

Why oh Why is TiVo Desktop software so terrible??

Now that Im running 7 its even worse...ugh

It takes 5-10 min to start and then I have to wait constantly to do anything and its not like this is my main puter. I have it behind my TV just as a server tower for my digital A/V/P.

Everytime I upgrade it seems to get worse. Come on TiVo programmers publish some software that really works as it should. Please!

2. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Product development at Tivo seems to involve doing everything to the lowest possible standard. Example: the Tivo Premiere, which still has an unfinished HDUI and probably never will be (nor will we likely be seeing that mythical second core any time soon).

I'm surprised Tivo Desktop has the loadtime that you listed... 5-10 minutes? What kind of computer are you running on? It's been a long time since I used Tivo Desktop, but I can't imagine any app on my PC taking that long to load. Is it a load delay, or is it bottlenecked communicating with or discovering the Tivos?

If you're just using desktop to serve up content to the Tivos, then pyTivo is a very good alternative.

3. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    If it is taking that long to load, there is something wrong. It loads up in 30 seconds or so for me. I suggest you try the some of the resets that it offers. Be careful, the full on reset everything deletes all the *.tivo files.

Another thing you can try is to move all the files out of the my tivo recordings folder, or other linked folders. if it starts imediately that way, then perhaps one of the file is corrupted, try putting them back a few at a time to identify the corrupted file and then just get rid of it.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you waiting until the computer itself has fully finished booting before starting TD?

Having recently moved from 98SE to XP, I've noticed that there's now a considerable difference between appearing to have fully booted and actually having done so, and wouldn't be surprised if this behavior has continued through to 7.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH

Advertisements

Do you have the very latest version of TDT? Don't rely on the update feature in the menus. Go to the TiVo website.

I'm running it on Win7 64bit and don't have those problems.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

it's the same for me. It loads in under 30 seconds(The OS drive is a Velociraptor 10K rpm drive) on a Win7 64bit machine I have dedicated to TiVo Desktop. I use a RAID 5 array for storage of my TiVo files.
    I do have the plus version but that should not matter.

7. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Try clearing the TiVo Desktop cache ... once that folder contains a few thousand files TD takes a long time to load. Clearing that out once and while keeps it snappy for me.

8. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    IBM XT or a 286 sounds like.

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I've still got an XT around here somewhere, do you really think I could run XP on it? (XP being the minimum TiVo says TiVo Desktop will run on)

And will XP fit on that old 20MB Seagate?

10. MrSkippy53

MrSkippy53 New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Dude, you know that was a joke right.

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Whooosh!

12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TiVo Desktop is actually developed by a 3rd party, not in house at TiVo. In fact I talked to their head of engineering a few years back about possibly taking over development myself. However I had just started working at VideoReDo and didn't have time to commit to it.

Unfortunately it seems that all engineering at TiVo has fallen to the wayside over the last few years. Even their main product, the Premiere, is buggy and half finished a YEAR after it was release. I think they've just given up on development and have become a company who's main focus is on litigation and making deals with MSOs.

Dan

13. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Tivo desktop isnt great but I find it works adequately.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes. It does what it's designed to do very well. I've been using it for the last few years and it allows me to reliably transfer shows automatically to the PC running TiVo Desktop for permanent storage and/or transfer back to another TiVo.

Then add VideoReDo in the mix and I'm able to take the recordings and easily add them to my media library.

15. cadmium

cadmium New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    I can't say pyTivo was the easiest to set up, but once I tried that, I never wanted to go back to TDP.

16. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    pyTiVo is a PITA to setup. Plus there are a dozen branches out there with different features, so it's hard to figure out which one to even use. However once you get it setup it works much better for transferring files back to your TiVo from your PC.

In fact there are several tools written by members of this forum which do parts of what TD is designed to do, but better. The problem is that there is nothing in a consolidated, easy to install/use, package that can do everything TD can do.

Dan

17. MitchW

MitchW New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    My Dell came with 1.5 Terabytes last July. My TRS-80 in 1979 was upgraded to a 20 MB IBM in 1981. It used to use cassette tapes for storage and had just 16 Kb memory in 1979.

18. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    pyTivo is a breeze to set up, especially compared to the nightmare that is TiVo Desktop. Last I checked (maybe they've fixed this by now?), TD wouldn't even run properly in a non-Administrator account. I fought with it endlessly. The first time I tried pyTivo, I had it working perfectly in about a minute.

The main problems people have setting up pyTivo are a) wanting to use it in Windows, and b) wanting it to work in a Windows way. The result is convoluted instructions that have you overlaying an obsolete "Windows Installer" with newer code from a repository. But really, all you need is this:

1. Unzip the archive.
    2. Edit pyTivo.conf.
    3. ./pyTivo.py (or "python pyTivo.py").

Now for Windows, it's slightly more hassle, because Windows doesn't come with Python or FFmpeg installed. Also, many people want to run pyTivo at startup (not me, BTW -- this is another of my annoyances with TD, that it has to run portions of itself on startup), which under Windows means additional steps not required with other OSes. Still, it's not that complicated.

Those who find the experience unsatisfactory are encouraged to improve it. Here's the latest such attempt. I think he went in a pretty weird direction with it, but it's interesting.

I'm really not a Windows guy, so it can't be up to me.

19. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Oh, that's a shock. [/sarcasm]

It shows. The software on the TiVo is tight, elegant, and functional. TDT is a dog turd. That's usually the way of 3rd party software. It's usually either terrific or horrific.

Frankly, I'm not sure what their thinking was with the Premier. The legislative and economic environment are both far too volatile to make the development of any real advances worth the risk, and the deployment of a fractured product will only minuscule advances on-board seemed to me a poorly considered move from the get-go. I expected virtually nothing from the Premier - why anyone expected anything is beyond me - and TiVo delivered in spades. It's almost more of a dog than the S2.

That fails to explain it. Why deliver a new platform at all, if that were the case? Why deliberately hamstring it? Most of the crippling of the Premier is deliberate.

20. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    No, it's not. It took me all of 20 seconds, every time I set it up.

That is an exaggeration.

William's branch is probably fine for most people.

Nonsense. First of all, the available tools can do far, far more than TDT can. Galleon, in particular, does a great many things TDT doesn't even begin to do, including the ability to select shows for transfer from any TiVo in the house to the server while sitting at any TiVo in the house or any PC running virtually any OS in the house - or even the internet.

The tools are also far more flexible. I wrote a simple Curl script that allows anyone with rights I assign to transfer files from my server to a TiVo from the internet using pyTivo. This way, friends and family who will be visiting me can queue up any number of shows from the server and have them ready and waiting to watch when they arrive. It took me about 20 minutes, including the web interface and the Curl script, and I had never even written a Curl script before then.