TIVO Desktop Upgrade

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by ilkeston guy, Jul 20, 2007.

1. ilkeston guy

ilkeston guy New Member

May 10, 2007
    I am running TIVO Desktop 2.3 software. From their webpage, it looks like TIVO Inc. is now offering version 2.4a. If I download the new software, does anyone know if I will lose the TIVO files currently stored on my computer? I would like to try the upgraded software, but do not want to risk losing the files.

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    The files will remain unharmed.

3. ilkeston guy

ilkeston guy New Member

May 10, 2007
    I didn't think so, because they are stored on the hard drive. Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

Would you happen to know the advantages of version 2.4a over 2.3? Maybe just minor upgrades?

4. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    That, bug fixes, etc.

5. audio

audio New Member

Feb 11, 2006
    Beware of the TiVo Desktop updates. I updated my TiVo Desktop from 2.3 to 2.4 and lost the ability to play the video files on Windows Media Player.

I don't know if they have fixed this problem but I did read about someone else had problems as well.

6. ilkeston guy

ilkeston guy New Member

May 10, 2007
    Audio,

I tried the update . . . you were right: I lost the ability to replay the TIVO shows on Windows Media.

Do you know of any fixes? Would still like to play the shows on my computer.

Thanks!

7. vasilemj

vasilemj Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I had a similar problem when upgrading from 2.2 to 2.4. I reinstalled the software that came with my DVD drive (which includes the MPEG2 codec) and it solved my problem.

8. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
  9. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    With 2.4 under File> Preferences> Restart&Reset tab - Clear & Reset Everything; that will delete everything!

10. mpanas

mpanas New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    So, I had Tivo Desktop 2.2 and I tried to updgrade to the 2.4a version but it uninstalled 2.2 then said sorry you need Win XP. I searched the tivo website, but the 2.3 versions are not there any more. Anyone know where I can get 2.3?

11. shredhead

shredhead Guest

Oct 14, 2003
    I have a DirecTivo with 2.3 running on my PC. In the past I tried upgrading this to the latest but then it would not publish to the DirecTivo. Has anyone seen this (2.4a on DirecTivo) work properly?