TiVo desktop/transferring issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Royce, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Royce

Royce New Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Here's my problem:

I have been running a home network using a Microsoft router & two Series 2 TiVo's for a couple years now, no problems whatsoever.

So I decided to switch to a new Netgear wireless router, I can pull shows off of my PC onto my TiVo's but now I can't remove shows from the TiVo & pull them back to my PC.

I thought it might me router related so I switched back to my old MS router, rebooted the PC & it does the same thing.

In the TiVo server properties it just says "Please wait, searching for DVRs".....for eternity.

When I try to transfer a recording using version 2.3a it says there are no DVRs available on the network.

The thing is they are there, I can see my PC & other TiVo in the Now Playing List on both TiVo's, can xfer recordings between TiVo's & pull mpeg2's from my PC, just not the opposite direction.

Both TiVo's are enable for network sharing & all that jazz.

Anyone have any idea what my problem could be???

Cheers, Royce

2. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Can you ping your TiVos' ip addresses from your PC?

Are your TiVo's set up with DHCP? If so it's possible that they are using different ip addresses and your new router hasn't given them new ones yet. You can fix this either by rebooting the TiVo or going into the Phone/Network and repeating the network setup.

If all else fails try rebooting the 2 TiVos and your PC. There is also a new version of TiVo Desktop (2.5) out which you can try.

3. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    If the IP address range handed out by your new router is different than the old one it may have caused problems with the scope entries of all your firewall settings. Either change the scope of all firewall exceptions to use your new local network, or change the DHCP server to issue the same ip address range as your old router did.

CuriousMark

4. Royce

Royce New Member

Nov 28, 2006
    It looks like it is some sort of Windows XP firewall issue, when I disable my PC firewall the service works.

This is fine, except I need my firewall turned ON.

I have the TiVo server listed as an exception in my firewall settings, is there anything else I can do to ensure the active firewall does not block the TiVo desktop communication?

Any certain ports need to be opened? I see a TiVo Server & TiVo Desktop both set as exempt in the list.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions....

Cheers, Royce

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL