Tivo Desktop Plus Transfer Problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by INDEP, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Jun 1, 2017 #1 of 23
    INDEP

INDEP New Member

May 31, 2017

Advertisements

Hello,

I have the TIVO Dekstop Plus with a Premier XL 4. As of last week, when I start a transfer of recordings from the DVR to my laptop (running Windows 10), the transfer starts but immediately stops with the message: "Transfer interrupted. DVR is busy transferring other files." Sometimes I get a message that the file can't be found. Prior to last week, this happened occasionally, but within a few minutes, the transfer would restart. Now, nothing happens. I uninstalled and reinstalled the software several times but it doesn't help. I also reconnected the DVR to the Tivo service several times, but that doesn't help either. I called customer service, which has been useless since they've shipped it overseas. I understand that they no longer sell or support the software. I have read through postings of similar issues here on the forum and found mention of other software such as Archivo and pytivo. Can anyone suggest a fix for the desktop issue? If not, any recommendations regarding archivo or pytivo? Pytivo seems straightforward. Is it a straight download? Thanks to anyone who can help.

2. Jun 1, 2017 #2 of 23
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Try my version of pyTivo. It has a simple UI for downloading to the PC.

jlosch likes this.
  3. Jun 1, 2017 #3 of 23
    INDEP

INDEP New Member

May 31, 2017
    Thank you for your reply and suggestion. Should I download it from this site: pyTivo Desktop ? Also, what does UI mean? I assume I just do a straight download? Thanks

4. Jun 1, 2017 #4 of 23
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    UI = User Interface. The big drawback to the original pyTiVo was it wasn't "user friendly". The new version is very easy to use and navigate. Yes, download and extract (run). I'm not using Win 10, so I can't help there.

5. Jun 1, 2017 #5 of 23
    INDEP

INDEP New Member

May 31, 2017

Advertisements

Is this better software better than Archivo? I saw that in some other postings regarding tivo desktop problems. Also, do you know why Tivo desktop has been discontinued? I head it has to do with copyright issues?

6. Jun 1, 2017 #6 of 23
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    From what I heard TiVo Desktop was developed by a 3rd party. TiVo had some dispute with that 3rd party and they were no longer allowed to distribute TiVo Desktop. We actually offered to take it over but they said they were not allowed to do anything with the source code until the dispute was finished. I never heard back from them about it again.

7. Jun 1, 2017 #7 of 23
    INDEP

INDEP New Member

May 31, 2017
    So you developed the pytivo? How interesting. I assume it operates like the Tivo desktop in terms of functions for transferring recordings and connecting the software to the dvr. How much is the download?

8. Jun 1, 2017 #8 of 23
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I didn't develop pyTivo. It was developed a long time ago by several other developers. I just packed it up into an easier to use installer and wrote a Desktop app to interact with it so that it would be a viable replacement for TiVo Desktop for everyone, not just nerds.

It's completely free.

9. Jun 1, 2017 #9 of 23
    INDEP

INDEP New Member

May 31, 2017
    Ah, OK. Still quite interesting. Thank you so much for your patient replies. I will try to download it later and see how it works. Hopefully, windows 10 will be cooperative.

10. INDEP

INDEP New Member

May 31, 2017
    Do you have any thoughts as to why I get that error message that the Tivo DVR is busy with another transfer? Thanks

11. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    1. Reboot your TiVo unit:
      • Put the TiVo unit into Standby
      • Unplug the TiVo unit for 10 seconds
      • Plug in the TiVo unit
    2. The TiVo unit's web server 'believes ' that a transfer from a client (i.e. TiVo Desktop in your case, unless you're running other transfer software that you're not telling us about) is still in progress. You have to reboot your TiVo unit in order to 'clear it '.

12. INDEP

INDEP New Member

May 31, 2017
    Thanks for the suggestion. How do I put the Tivo into standby mode?

13. INDEP

INDEP New Member

May 31, 2017
    Thank you again, I'm trying this now.

14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Hit the TiVo button. Scroll down to the bottom (Setting & Messages). Look right. Scroll down to Standby. Select it. Note that a Premiere (series 4) will power up into Standby mode. You will need to hit the TiVo button or Live TV button to get a picture.

15. INDEP

INDEP New Member

May 31, 2017
    My Tivo Desktop issue has been resolved. Thank you again for your help, and I'll check out the pytivo as well.

16. INDEP

INDEP New Member

May 31, 2017
    Your suggestion worked. Thank you so much. I actually had thought about rebooting the dvr but got sidetracked and forgot to try it. As they say, when all else fails, the old standby (pun intended), is reboot!

17. INDEP

INDEP New Member

May 31, 2017
    Thank you. I found it and it worked.

18. INDEP

INDEP New Member

May 31, 2017
    Although the Tivo Desktop seems to be working again, I'd like to check the pyTivo. If I download the pyTivo on a different computer than the one that has the Tivo Desktop, will it interfere with the Tivo Desktop if I don't transfer from the Tivo Desktop at the same time? Thanks

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No. It should be fine.

20. INDEP

INDEP New Member

May 31, 2017
    I'll try it then. Thanks again for all of your help and answers to my questions.