Tivo Desktop Plus - Really work?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by rctoyguy, Aug 26, 2007.

1. rctoyguy

rctoyguy New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    Before I drop the money on desktop plus, does it really work? I mean, does it really work well?

All I will be looking for is getting videos from the Tivo into my iPod...

Yes, I have other threads about editing those files - but outside of that, how does desktop plus do?

2. jtown0620

jtown0620 TIMELORD with TiVo

Jun 17, 2004
    Trinity, Fl.
    No problems here puts your converted files in a different folder and gives you the option to delete or keep the original.

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I'm pretty happy with TiVo Desktop Plus. Combine the auto-transfer feature with the new ability of TD2.5 to auto-import converted shows into iTunes and I've got a nice, unattended method of getting video onto my iPod overnight.

4. codacoda

codacoda New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    I purchased the Pro version of TTG, but after calling tech support was told that it will not work for ANY Video with a Series 3. I can understand it not working from the Tivo to the PC, but it seems that it should be able to send video files from my PC to my Tivo S3.

Is this truly the case? Do you know if there is a work around.

I'm not trying to get around the DRM/CableCard issue here. I just want to send MY movie files from my PC to my S3.

Thanks for the help.

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Yes, that is currently the situation. Sending videos back to the S3 is closely tied into TiVoToGo, which is disabled. Once MRV and TTG are enabled on the S3/THD boxes, you'll be able to use TiVo Desktop to send video back to the box just like you can to the Series2 boxes today.

So if you only have an S3 or THD, the Plus upgrade doesn't really buy you anything. I should have clarified that in my original response, sorry.