Tivo Desktop Plus Problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sw10025, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Oct 5, 2015 #1 of 13
    sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...

Advertisements

I have: Series 2 Tivo (yeah, its old) and Tivo Desktop Plus

I'm having a problem with Tivo Desktop Plus, not the Series 2. I have a single program, recorded two days ago, that I want to download to my PC. Problem is, Tivo Desktop Plus won't let me: it shows the program is "still recording" even though it finished recording 2 days ago, so I can't check the box to download it. I've been able to successfully download programs recorded both BEFORE and AFTER this particular one, no problem, its just screwed up over a single recording. On my own, I tried re-launching the Desktop Plus program, that didn't help, I rebooted my PC, I rebooted the Tivo, none of those things worked.

So I called Tivo support earlier today. The fellow told me to unplug my Tivo for 15 seconds, then unplug my router for at least 15 seconds, then plug the router back in (without the Tivo connected) and let it boot completely up, then plug the Tivo back in and that should fix the problem. Tried that several times, the last time I left everything unplugged for 15 MINUTES and still, I can't download the program because TDP thinks its still being recorded (the program is complete, intact, and the Tivo isn't confused, just the desktop program).

I called back this afternoon and spoke to someone who IMHO was practically clueless, they kept reading stuff out of a manual at me, asking questions I had already answered over and over again, and then consulted someone else. He apparently wanted me to uninstall the program, reinstall it, and also to clean my HD. After an hour of this nonsense, and being told something that I'm loathe to do - they said I shouldn't lose any programming on the computer, but that "shouldn't" seems a possible risk there, I don't have the faintest idea how to "clean" a HD, and it just struck me that these people didn't have a clue what the problem was and were just suggesting enough things that I would balk and give up.

Anyone here have any suggestions of something else I could try? This has never happened before, but TDP seems to be working increasingly poorly over the last couple of years, so it could happen again, and I want to know how to fix this now if possible or in case it happens again.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

2. Oct 5, 2015 #2 of 13
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Totally off the wall here, but try deleting the program. Then recover the program. See what happens.

I can use Desktop to pull programs off my TiVos. I can't get those programs back unless I make them an mpg. It's a different story.

3. Oct 5, 2015 #3 of 13
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    You could try deleting the program from the TiVo and then recovering it. (Wait, does the Series 2 have that feature? I don't remember.)

I doubt that TiVo Desktop is at fault, actually, but there are alternatives to it that you can try. The simplest is the web server built into the TiVo itself -- go to https://yourtivoiphere/ , ignore the warning messages, and put in "tivo" as the user, and your MAK as the password. Other options include pyTivo and KMTTG.

4. Oct 5, 2015 #4 of 13
    sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    Thanks, oddly enough, I had accidentally deleted the program and then recovered it (before I had tried to download it) and that may have actually caused the problem. (Its the only difference between the "stuck" program and everything else I'm aware of.) I had actually tried to delete and recover myself, and did it just now (after I had rebooted the router) and no change.

But thanks for the suggestion.

5. Oct 5, 2015 #5 of 13
    sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...

Advertisements

Your link doesn't work, I've tried several possible permutations, ran a google search and nothing has worked. What's the correct site?

6. Oct 5, 2015 #6 of 13
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Are you replacing "yourtivoiphere" with your TiVo's IP address (something like 192.168.0.20)?

Scott

7. Oct 6, 2015 #7 of 13
    sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    No, I wasn't. I literally thought he was talking about a website or a software program. :eek:

8. Oct 6, 2015 #8 of 13
    ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for that! You made me chuckle!

9. larry5601

larry5601 New Member

Jul 14, 2015
    This user ID and password do not work

10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    They surely do.

(If you want a better reply, you'll have to give me more to go on. I can't guess at all the things you might be doing wrong. I can only tell you that this IS the method, and it DOES work, both in general, and specifically on my Bolt, just now.)

11. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
  12. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It sounds like they're suggesting that you uninstall TiVo Desktop from the PC, and then re-install it.

Which I have done in the past.

There's a utility TiVo used to make available to use to clean up behind an uninstall of Desktop, and though it supposedly is for an older version of Desktop, I've run it after uninstalling the current version, and, if it didn't help, it didn't hurt anything either. Let me know if you want a download link for it.

But first, launch Desktop, click on "Services" (top left corner of screen), then click on "TiVo Server Properties", then click the "Performance" tab, and find out where Desktop keeps its "cache" folder.

Then open up Windows Explorer (the file manager program, not Internet Explorer), and delete all of the .cache files in that folder, and see if that makes a difference.

And give your TiVo a fixed IP address that lies outside of your router's DHCP address pool.

13. larry5601

larry5601 New Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Sorry I thought we were talking about using https to access the built in web site on the TIVO but I see I didn't actually reply in the section were the login instructions were given. Anyway my problem was not understanding what was meant by MAK. Once I used my media access key it did work. I guess to be really clear I should have said that my tivo is a roamio OTA.