Tivo Desktop PC can't find any Tivo recordings

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by yesodtiferet, Sep 4, 2011.

1. yesodtiferet

yesodtiferet New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Hi, this is my first post here; thanks in advance for your help. I am attempting to transfer some of my Tivo shows onto my computer, and I am having difficulty. Here is my set up:

I have a Tivo HD XL which is connected to my wireless network via the Tivo wireless adapter, which is connected to Time Capsule. The Time Capsule is connected via ethernet to my DSL modem.

I have an iMac running OS X Lion with Parallels 7 installed, which, of course, allows me to run Windows 7. On Windows 7 I have installed Tivo Desktop for PC. But that software does not recognize any Tivo shows at all.

This is where I am confused. The Tivo is connected to the network (I have checked) but I think the problem is that Time Capsule doesn't recognize the Tivo; Tivo doesn't show up anywhere on the Time Capsule.

If it is of any help to know, I also have another device connected via ethernet cable to the Time Capsule--a telephone which displays captions of phone calls (my wife is hearing impaired).

The captioning on the phone, which relies on the internet, also is not working, though it is plugged into a correct port on the back of the Time Capsule.

So, is it Time Capsule settings? Any suggestions are much appreciated!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There is a Mac version of TiVo Desktop. An alternative is to use PyTivoX.

If this is the first time you are trying to transfer, login to TiVo.com and your account, under DVR preferences, make sure transfers and downloads are checked. This will enable the transfers in about a day, which you would get a Media Access key, it is what's used to decrypt the video.

3. yesodtiferet

yesodtiferet New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Thanks for your suggestions. I'm using the PC because I also have VideoReDo TV Suite, which I will use for editing. And, I did go to my account to ensure that transfers and downloads are enabled.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Is there a firewall involved?

Try to access the Tivo directly from your computer while in Windows 7.
    Open a web browser and go to https:/<IP address of your Tivo here>.
    You may be presented with a certificate warning screen, click "continue to website".
    You will have to enter a user name and password.

User name = tivo
    Password is your Media Access Key
    See if you can get to the shows that way. If you can't, it might have to do with some settings in the Time Capsule.

5. yesodtiferet

yesodtiferet New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Thanks, again for your suggestions. I was playing around with the settings in Windows 7 tonight and, lo and behold, the Tivo recordings showed up! I'm not sure exactly what I did--something to do with the network settings, I think--but it works! I'm afraid to touch anything for fear it will all go away.

Now I have the VideoReDo learning curve ahead of me.

Thanks again.