Tivo Desktop on 2 computers?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by LOCALJOHN, Jan 1, 2006.

1. LOCALJOHN

LOCALJOHN Witty User Title

Jan 1, 2006

Advertisements

Can I use the Tivo Desktop on 2 computers in my house? I put them on both computers but only 1 computer gets the signal.

Ps. I suck at computer stuff and this tivo stuff, so if you are able to answer my question with detail, could you dumb it down for me?

thanks.

2. VinceA

VinceA Active Member

May 13, 2002
    Bayonne, NJ
    Yes, you can have TiVoDesktop on more than one machine. We've got it on two of the machines here and it works fine. What do you mean by "only one computer gets the signal"?

3. LOCALJOHN

Jan 1, 2006
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    As for the problem, Im getting this message on the pc I have in the upstairs.
    "No Tivo Dvrs on the network." Or something to that effect.
    And this is the pc that I first put the desktop on and it worked fine and good. Then i got the bright idea to put it on my laptop, and now, I can only transfer to the laptop and not this pc. Am I missing some kind of button?
    I even tried turing the laptop off to see if this pc would work to no avail. Not that its gonna be the end of the world for me, I just want to figure it out. Or have someone else figure it out for me.

4. VinceA

VinceA Active Member

May 13, 2002
    Bayonne, NJ
    Was the desktop machine ever able to connect to the TiVo? How is the wireless network relate to the wired network or is the desktop PC also connected wirelessly?

5. LOCALJOHN

Jan 1, 2006

Advertisements

Yeah, when I first got the tivo it was through my wireless network and the desk top. I downloaded the desktop to the pc and it worke anc connected fine. Music and Photos on my tivo no prob.. Then I downloaded the desktop on my laptop and the tivo only accepts the laptop and not the desktop pc anymore. And it is all wireless.

6. amules2003

amules2003 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    It sounds like you need to open the port on your router, to accept another computer to get in.

7. holowac

holowac K3SDH

Dec 31, 2005
    South...
    If you haven't done so already, you can "Manually add a server" under Music, Photos & More. To obtain your PC's IP address, go to "Start", Run then type "cmd" then type "ipconfig /all" (all without the quote marks). Enter your PC's IP address into your TiVo. Note that the TiVo won't recognize your PC, but will only display the IP address until:
    Your computer is turned on
    You are logged in
    Your TiVo server is running (not paused)
    I hope this helps.
    Steve