Tivo Desktop - how fast does it transfer TiVo to PC

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by khumash, Dec 20, 2011.

1. khumash

khumash New Member

Dec 20, 2011
    I want to watch all the TiVo recorded videos on PC, so I can use video player like KMplayer to speed up the playback speed, eg 2x. My question is how long does it take to transfer a 1 hour TiVo to PC? I know this depends on the network speed between TiVo and PC, but just want to know how the community feels the transfer speed.

The other question - is there any conversion taking place between the transfer? Or is the TiVo video file is already supported on PC (maybe it's .avi or .rmvb?). Hope the community can provide some information. Thanks!

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I get around 70mb/s transfer speeds with TiVo Desktop to/from my Premieres

Install TiVo Desktop on the PC, enter your TiVo accounts Media Access Key, and then you will be able to transfer and view the .tivo files.
    You can get VideoReDo to take the .TiVo files to other formats.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I think my Tivo HD transfers take longer than real time. I want to say that it takes 30 - 40 minutes to transfer a 30 min. HD show.

Here is what the Tivo shows on the network diagnostic screen:

[​IMG]

I don't know if that correlates with my assumption above. (EDIT: my suspicions confirmed. It took 36m 9s to transfer a 30 minute HD program @ 11.81 Mb/s.)
    Obviously the Premiere will be faster.

There is no conversion that takes place, so to speak.
    From what I understand, the Tivo has to mux the audio and video together before sending it to a computer. The quality of the audio and video remains unchanged.
    The file is transferred in a proprietary format (.tivo) and it will play in WMP, but your other video player of choice may not be able to play it. You will most likely have to strip the .tivo format from the file first.
    IIRC, alternate software such as kmttg will download and strip the .tivo encryption in one step. Check it out.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=387725

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The Tivo converts the video to a .tivo file when you do a transfer. Depending on what model of Tivo you have, Premiere does transfers alot faster then the older models, using wired network, but on wireless it is somewhat less.

On my Tivo HD, I get on wireless around 5-7 mb/s but on Series 2, it is only 2-3mb/s.

5. khumash

khumash New Member

Dec 20, 2011
    How about the conversion rate? How long does it take to convert a 60min video from .tivo to any regular video format for you? (please also let me know your PC spec, like CPU). Thanks.

I am just worried about, it might take 30min to transfer a 30min video and another 10-20min for conversion. That make the whole thing not making sense to watch TiVo video on PC since it's not saving time at all. Hopefully there's a better way to achieve this. Thanks.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Conversion is done on the fly as it transfers from the Tivo. It only takes a minute or 2 to decode from the .tivo encoded file to a .mpg with TivoDecode. The program Tivo Desktop does not convert. There is another program not endorsed by Tivo, KMTTG does downloads and decode jobs automatically, as well as coding for other devices. It does not send back to the Tivo, for that you need Tivo Desktop or PyTivo.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, if you do your PC watching on a whim, the transfer/conversion process gets in the way of watching a program NOW.
    It works better if you set up multiple transfers overnight. That way, you don't notice the time it takes to transfer the shows.

It sounds like kmttg would be right up your alley. Set it up to transfer and decode multiple shows overnight, the next day they will be ready for viewing.
    You might even be able to set up automatic transfers where your favorite shows get transferred soon after being recorded on the Tivo.