Tivo Desktop Getting Network Connectivity Error

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by miceland, Apr 28, 2011.

1. miceland

miceland New Member

Apr 27, 2011
    I am now running Windows 7 and Tivo Desktop 2.8.2. I try and use the Tivo Desktop (free).

I was able to get it running and downloading programs from my Series 3 HD but now It gives the error:

"There was an error while attempting to retrieve data from the selected DVR.

An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

The last thing i was doing was installing Windows 7 updates. I suspect a new update may be in conflict with Tivo Desktop.

I tried switching to beacon. this makes no difference. Also I teried switching from manual to auto to full. no difference.

I tried going to my tivo's ip address from my desktop. I am blocked from doing so.

here was tivo's response -

Since we are unable to access the TiVo unit directly through your local network, and through the TiVo Desktop software, we are unfortunately do not have any further troubleshooting. We would recommend a consultation between your internet service provider or router manufacturer for any other network security that could be put into place.

Sigh.

I tried deintalling and reinstalling per Tivo's suggestion. no change.

the Tivo is able to connect to the network.its getting its updates fine. same with the desktop.

Is there something that could have been installed on the desktop or the network that would prevent Tivo desktop and a web browser form seeing the Tivo?

2. miceland

miceland New Member

Apr 27, 2011
    i attempt to connect to the ip address of the tivo server via a web browser. it won't connect. some sort of firewall or other "protection" is preventing me from using desktop.

3. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    What firewall are you using? The Desktop install will create the exceptions that it needs in Windows firewall, but you have to do it manually if you use something else.

Are you running a firewall on your router?

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If it was working fine right up until the Windows 7 updates, I'd be disinclined to blame anything else.

(When in doubt, blame Microsoft. You'll usually be right.:))

Check with Microsoft to see if they've had any other reports of Win7 users experiencing the same problem and find out how to undo the latest updates.

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Try rebooting the TiVo. Sometimes the web server process just stops responding for whatever reason and a restart usually fixes it.

6. miceland

miceland New Member

Apr 27, 2011
    IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    TY
    TY
    TY

Thank you!

7. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL