TiVo Desktop features prior to activating subscription

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by RickStrobel, Jan 22, 2006.

1. RickStrobel

RickStrobel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2000

Advertisements

Just setup my new Series 2 and am trying to get a few photos to show up on the TiVo. I've downloaded and installed TiVo Desktop. Got the correct IP set. Have turned off all hardware and software firewalls. I've published some photos using the Desktop software.

No matter what I do I can't get the Photos and Music menu to show up in TiVo Central. Nor can I get any shows from my Now Playing list to show up on TiVo Desktop. I get the messages:

"There are no TiVo recordings in Rick's Now Playing List"

If I click "Pick Recordings to Transfer" I get another error:

"There was an error while attempting to retrieve data from the selected DVR. TiVo Desktop is unable to contact the DVR. This could be due to network problems, or the DVR m ight not be set to allow transfers. To check the DVR settings, go to www.tivo.com, then select "Manage My Account" and "DVR Preferences"

At the top of the window it says "From TiVo DVR: ... DVR-1234" where 1234 is the last four digits of my TiVo service number.

Of course this unit won't show up on TiVo's web site under my account because I haven't activated service yet. Was wondering if that is why none of the advanced Series 2 features won't work. I guess that's why I can't transfer programs, or even see them in Desktop. Don't know if that affects the Photos and Music.

I can ping the IP address of the TiVo from my PC.
    I've disabled the firewall on my Linksys WRT54GS with Alchemy
    I've turned off loopback on the router
    I've turned off Zone Alarm completely on my PC
    I've selected pictures to publish.

I'm going to buy Lifetime Service on this unit. But, before I make that leap I want to play around with it for a few days. Is the service activation the only thing left to do here. Or, is there some other issue or fix?

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    You have to activate the service before you can use the service...

3. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    You could activate the unit with monthly service for $12.95, play around with it and if you like what you see, then change to lifetime. You'll be out an extra $13, but in the whole scheme of things, so what? :)

4. RickStrobel

RickStrobel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2000
    I have a coupon good for three months worth of service. If I activate it just for monthly I won't be able to apply the coupon to the lifetime service. If I do it all at once - lifetime and apply coupon the lifetime service will cost me $260.15. So if I activate it just to play around with it it could cost me $51.80.

I can use the service without activating, temporarily. I can record programs. Can someone answer specifically if the Home Media Features will work during this brief free subscription period?

5. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...

Advertisements

The DVR needs to be activated for Home Media Features to work.

Michael

6. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

which means you do need to subscribe the TiVo to use the TiVo Desktop
    now in general with certificates for subs you have 30 days from activation to change the sub to a lifetime and can still apply the balance. I do not know this directly about the best buy gift subs for three months though.

hold times are long due to the TiVos sold as Christmas presents but a TiVo CSR is the one to verify my thinking. I am not employed by TiVo myself just like the products. ;)