TiVo Desktop Does Not Start on Re-Boot

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by coreybryant, Apr 8, 2011.

1. coreybryant

coreybryant Texan at Heart

Mar 1, 2003
    Castle Rock, CO
    I am running Version 2.7 - when I reboot, the program does not start and I have to remote desktop in to start the service.

I did upgrade awhile back, but I had some problems and I was able to go back to 2.7 . Maybe 2.8 has been fixed. I also found the issue (Upgraded to 2.7 and Lost the Series 2. Since the Series 2 died a couple of weeks ago, maybe I can upgrade.

Apparently, the Series2 overheated. I called TiVo support and it was working. They told me to unplug it to help it cool down faster - unfortunately, it never restarted :( I was hesitant at turning it off, but I did. That one lasted maybe 8 years. We bought our first one when they came out and a lifetime maximum was $199.00. Hopefully the bonus for my spouse will help to consider getting a new one (and return the Comcast DVR). Plus I want a new alarm system due to health reasons.

If upgraded to 2.8 does not fix the issue, what should I look for?

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The latest version is 2.8.2 and TiVo also offers a piece of software intended to remove all previous versions before installation.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    One suggestion.

Give all of your Tivos fixed IP addresses.

Can't hurt.

4. coreybryant

coreybryant Texan at Heart

Mar 1, 2003
    Castle Rock, CO
    Thanks - I'll try to do the update (again). For some reason, it did not take.

When the system boots up, the icon is in the taskbar, it just has an X in it. I am pretty sure the TiVo has its own IP.