tivo desktop conversion same as free programs?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by newsposter, Oct 15, 2011.

1. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i had little luck with pytivo after trying for hours so i downloaded a free conversion program called any video converter. I have no problem using it then importing using free tivo desktop and i do not need the auto importing the paid desktop offer

however, i am wondering, is there anything inherently better about converting with pytivo or the full tivo desktop vs a free converter such as i downloaded? (forget about convenience, just Pic quality)

or is there a better conversion program i should be using other than what has been mentioned

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I can't speak to your question except to say that I believe that pyTivo handles more formats than TiVo Desktop.

What exactly were your problems with pyTivo?

3. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    If you will refer to the setup guide in my signature and ask questions in the Home Media section of this forum, folks will help you get pytivo running.

Since tivo desktop cannot push h264 video directly, you are loosing quality and sending files far larger than necessary for the programs. Not to mention all the other limitations and poor programming in tivo desktop. Really suggest you get pytivo running and do the transfers better, faster and support more formats.

4. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    If you are wanting to download from the TiVo and convert to a more portable format, kmttg has a nice interface. I'll also echo the comments of others, once you get pyTiVo up and running, it's aces.

5. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    everything :) it took me forever to get to the web interface even..then the edit section option wasnt there when it was supposed to be...i was following the step by step on another thread here but even as a 5th grader i couldnt get it working

ill post in the other thread what ive done so far

i dont need to go from tivo to PC just pc to tivo

6. h00ligan

h00ligan New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    The biggest problem with patio, for people who don't want to much around a lot, is that it wasn't multithreaded last I checked.l.which meant it was painfully slow. Has this changes, is the branch of the multithreaded encoder rolled in now? I'd love to go back to pytivo as right now I have given up getting content from any desktop to TiVo and use other, much better devices for playing remotely.

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Try kmttg. I think its interface is more 'hokey' (I think that's Java's fault), but at least SOME of it is multithreaded.