Tivo desktop and windows 7

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by EZFrag, Apr 10, 2010.

1. EZFrag

EZFrag New Member

Apr 6, 2010

Advertisements

I cannot get tivo desktop to work right with my computer running Windows 7. I have talked with Tivo, they say contact microsoft. I have uninstalled, cleaned, and reinstalled. On Tivo desktop, I can see the recordings on my Tivo, but cannot transfer them. I get a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it. Under the transfer status tab, the error message says, "The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows help."

I've tried going to Microsoft. Looking for them to help me with my problem is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    EZ

2. EZFrag

EZFrag New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Oh...and by the way. I use Zone Alarm for a firewall and I have given all tivo applications free reign. It shouldn't be a firewall issue.

3. pkl29

pkl29 New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    I went back to an earlier version of DeskTop, 2.6.2.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Wired or wireless network?

If wireless, try with a wired connection to eliminate the wireless as the problem.

Even though you say the firewall "shouldn't" be a problem, have you tried transferring with the firewall off/disabled to be sure?

In the Tivo Desktop Server Properties, under the Access Control tab, do you see your Tivo listed?

Also try downloading a show directly from the Tivo's built in web server.
    On the computer, open a internet browser window and go to:

https:/<the IP address of your Tivo here>

You will be presented with a security certificate page (your browser trying to protect you).
    Click continue to the website (even though it says not recommended).
    Next you will be asked for a user name and password.
    User Name: tivo
    Password: your media access key (MAK)

5. Karl Childers

Karl Childers New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    A...

Advertisements

It could be a permissions problem, in that the Media Access Key may not be recognized by Win 7's security protocols. Are you using TiVo Desktop 2.8 or 2.8.1? If you are not using the latter, I would recommend updating to it.

If you already have TiVo Desktop 2.8.1, I would recommend completely uninstalling it. Then reinstall it. However, when downloading the program, instead of clicking "Run," click "Save" instead. Once it has been saved, then open as Administrator and commence installing TiVo Desktop. Once you enter your Media Access Key, it should "stick" and subsequently be recognized by Win 7's security protocols.

I hope this helps. . . .

6. LordFett

LordFett Registered Offender

May 6, 2005
  7. wp746911

wp746911 New Member

Feb 18, 2005
    I have windows7 (64 bit) and it runs great. I'm using windows security essentials (free). I would completely disable your firewall and see if that helps..

8. FrodoB

FrodoB Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Middleton, WI
    Where did you find 2.8.1? All I can find on tivo.com is 2.8.

9. EZFrag

EZFrag New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Ok..I did download and install the 2.6 version and It has seemed to work. I have a show that did transfer. Now, I tried to view it with windows media player and WMP stopped working. I downloaded the K-Lite codecs. It didn't work. Any suggestions?

10. EZFrag

EZFrag New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Ok..i uninstalled k-lite. Installed Shark codecs for windows 7. Then installed x64 codecs. Still can't get the file to play.

11. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I just upgraded one of my PC's from Vista to Windows 7 and am having the same problems (32-bit).

- Downloads with TiVo Desktop 2.8 fail with "The system cannot find the file specified"
    - Windows Media Player cannot play .tivo files. Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file.

I've uninstalled, run the cleaner and reinstalled. Note that TiVoPlayList downloads files correctly and VideoRedo can edit .tivo files.

Scott

12. Alan Seawright

Alan Seawright Alan S

Jul 18, 2010
    Melbourne,...
    I don't know if this will work or not but I came across this link which may help - I'll be trying it ASAP - Alan

Oh, it seems that I can't post the link - How silly. Go to www sevenforums com/media-center/67501-how-do-i-get-windows-media-center-play-tivo-files html

PS - Replace the spaces with .'s