Tivo Desktop and Windows 10?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Robert Simandl, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl Member

Jan 16, 2004

Advertisements

Anyone with Tivo Desktop do the free upgrade to Windows 10 yet? Any issues or "gotcha's" the rest of us need to know about?

Thanks!

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    If past experience is any guide, the upgrade process will break Desktop.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm sure Desktop, Beacon, and Bonjour have all be tested with Windows 10. :rolleyes:

4. mrtxstar

mrtxstar New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    I just installed Win 10 and now I get an error pop up on my screen about every hour about something to do with Tivo Desktop. I guess I need to get a screen shot of it.

5. johnsonjonj

johnsonjonj New Member

Jan 27, 2014

Advertisements

On your Windows 10 at the bottom left... Ask me anything... type in compatibility... it will bring up Control Panel .. Run programs made for previous versions of windows... a window will pop up labeled .. Program Compatibility Troubleshooter... Next.. then it will then make of pop up list of programs running on your computer.. select Tivo Desktop.. you will then get a pop up to test... this will allow the program to run correctly... It will then ask you to save these settings for this program...

6. mrtxstar

mrtxstar New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    My Windows 10 bottom left has nothing that says "Ask me anything".

I do have a screenshot of the error message if that would be helpful.

Edited: Okay, found the "ask me anything" ... proceeding

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  7. mrtxstar

mrtxstar New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    [​IMG]

8. mrtxstar

mrtxstar New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Compatibility Troubleshooter unable to resolve issue. Now TiVo Desktop not opening at all and the periodic error message still pops up on screen. Any further suggestions?

9. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    uninstall/reinstall?

10. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    That would be my suggestion. I did a clean install of Tivo Desktop 2.8.2 on Win10 Pro Insider Preview and never had a problem. Works just like on Win7, which I upgraded from. In the same thread, others mentioned 2.8.3 works too.

[edit] This thread, to be exact. http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=530129 and probably the official win10 thread somewhere, but that is a long thread.

11. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    my w10 upgrade completed with tivo desktop 2.8.3 still running fine, just had to re-enter the media access key on first launch.

12. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 TV Buff!

Nov 17, 2006
    Had to uninstall and reinstall Desktop to get it back working again, myself.

13. gayste

gayste Love TiVo!

Feb 27, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    TiVo Desktop version 2.8.2
    Surface
    From Windows 8.1 to 10
    Had to re-enter the MAK
    Also had to associate .tiVo files with Windows Media Player. (I don't know if the new "Movies & TV" app would play the files, I didn't try.)

Everything seems to work.

14. Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Guess I got lucky.

Tivo Desktop 2.8.3 on my homebuilt PC

From Windows 7 Ultimate to 10 Pro

Didn't even have to re-enter the Media Access Key

Did have to associate Tivo files with WMP ("Movies & TV" wasn't in the immediate list of programs to choose from and I didn't feel like hunting for it).

My only problem is the Google Drive icon has disappeared from my desktop. But it's still in the System Tray, so no biggie.

15. mrtxstar

mrtxstar New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Finally had success getting my TiVo Desktop Plus to work properly with Windows 10 OS. I had to uninstall/install Desktop twice and load the Desktop Patch. Just glad it's working now. Crossing my fingers it's stays that way.

16. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    mine connects ok plays video once I associated a player with the .TiVo file, but I haven't been able to download a complete episode yet. Always fails before it even starts, or about 5 minutes in.

17. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Upgraded my Windows 8.1 laptop yesterday to Windows 10 and no problems so far with TiVo Desktop 2.8.3 after the upgrade. I was able to transfer shows in both directions.

Still can't play .tivo files with WMP (issue existed prior to upgrade) but they play fine with PowerDVD. I thought that having DVD software installed on your Windows 8.1 would install the missing codecs required for WMP to play .tivo files but doesn't seem to be the case with PowerDVD at least.

Scott

18. midson

midson Member

Feb 26, 2005
    After the Windows 10 upgrade, only WMP will play the .tivo files. In windows 7, VLC and the conversion program VideoRedo both played the files, but now do not. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

BTW, Tivo Desktop 2.8.2 works fine from what i can tell. I successfully downloaded two shows to test it. I uninstalled/reinstalled to see if that would fix the problem described above, but it did not.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    After my Windows 10 home upgrade on my KMTTG/TiVo Desktop machine. All I needed to do was to re-enter the MAK into TiVo Desktop. I didn't even realize this until I tried using VideoReDo on a recording for my GF. It wouldn't do anything to the recording because of the missing MAK. Then I realized I needed to re-enter into Tivo Desktop to get VideoreDo to work properly again.

20. KenVa

KenVa Member

Aug 31, 2005
    After my Windows 10 upgrade when I play a .tivo file with Media Player it only plays the sound, no video.

If I switch to Library and get the properties on the file its says Media Type : Audio.
    For some reason it thinks its just an audio file.

These files played perfectly with video before the upgrade from Windows 7 to 10.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015