Tivo Desktop and Windows 10

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by AnonymousTroll, Jul 12, 2015.

1. AnonymousTroll

AnonymousTroll New Member

Jan 6, 2007

Advertisements

Is there a newer version of Tivo Desktop than 2.8.3 that might work with Windows 10? When I try to launch Desktop I get an error that says "Transfer server wrong version!"

2. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I've never seen that problem and have no idea what it might be referring to. I've been running TiVo Desktop 2.8.2* on WIn 10 since the 10049(?) build without a problem, including on the latest 10166 build. Both the desktop app and the server work fine with my TivoHD and Roamio.

*(Using the exact same exe to install that I used on XP/7). No reason for me to go to 2.8.3, but I can't imagine there is any difference related to the error you see.

[edit] Point of note, I installed TiVo Desktop on a clean system. No previous TD installs. Did you happen to have TD already installed on a 7 or 8.1 system which was upgraded to 10?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  3. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    comes up on windows 8 also uninstall and reinstall should fix it

http://www.tivo.com/assets/exe/tivotogo/TiVoDesktopCleaner.zip

4. johnsonjonj

johnsonjonj New Member

Jan 27, 2014
    On your Windows 10 at the bottom left... Ask me anything... type in compatibility... it will bring up Control Panel .. Run programs made for previous versions of windows... a window will pop up labeled .. Program Compatibility Troubleshooter... Next.. then it will then make of pop up list of programs running on your computer.. select Tivo Desktop.. you will then get a pop up to test... this will allow the program to run correctly... It will then ask you to save these settings for this program...

5. leesalogic

leesalogic New Member

Dec 7, 2015

Advertisements

This method fixed my problem. I was getting the same error as OP, after an uninstall and reinstall.

Thanks for your help!!

6. leesalogic

leesalogic New Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Now my only problem is that I still can't get TiVo Desktop Plus to play since WMP is no longer a part of Windows 10. I installed VLC, which made it so I could play DVDs again, but I still can't play the TiVo files. Any suggestions?

7. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I converted all my .Tivo files to MP4 long before I had upgraded to win 10 to save on space and to be able to play them on my tablet. So they will play in win 10. However any file still in the .Tivo format won't play.

8. justen_m

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    tivoelibre will take your media access key (MAK), and a .TiVo file and output a .mpg that will play in VLC and other players.

It's as easy as
    java -jar tivo-libre.jar -i input.TiVo -o output.mpg -m 0123456789

You do need to have java 8 installed, but that's available for free from Oracle.

9. leesalogic

leesalogic New Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Turns out that this is not a sticking solution. I still get the same error "Transfer server wrong version!" every time I try to open TiVo Desktop Plus.

10. leesalogic

leesalogic New Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Where do I enter that line?

11. Balzer

Balzer Active Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Weird. I had Tivo Desktop on my Windows 7 system and after it upgraded to 10, Tivo Desktop has continued to work normally.

12. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Interestingly I didn't have to do this on the 2 PC's that I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and Windows 7 to Windows 10 which had TiVo Desktop installed. Both installations continue to work fine without configuring compatibility mode and no reinstall was needed.

Scott

13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    There is an executable named TiVoTransfer.exe. It sounds like maybe it's finding that's the wrong version or perhaps some lingering files or registry settings that reference a different version.

Have you tried running the TiVo Desktop Cleaner and then reinstalling?

http://assets.tivo.com/assets/exe/tivotogo/TivoDesktopCleaner.zip

Scott

14. justen_m

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Just in the command prompt, or Windows power shell (I use the latter). To bring up either, in the search window, enter cmd or power, respectively, and click on it to launch. You can navigate to where things are... or just enter full paths. If you've never used a command line interface (CLI) before, sorry. I don't know how to do this in a gui, other than with kmttg.

15. Arthur Glenn

Arthur Glenn New Member

Oct 22, 2019
    I am having trouble install any of the TiVo desktop software. I right click and click on run as administrator but a box opens and states that it doesn't have elevate right. I have tried using the compatibility but still no joy.

16. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle
    Just install and use pyTivo Desktop

kpeters59 likes this.
  17. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Agreed with the previous post's advice but, you might try turning your antivirus software off during install.