1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Desktop and Synology DiskStation

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by hdeditor, May 20, 2017.

1. hdeditor

hdeditor New Member+1 rank

Jan 7, 2004
    Denver
    I'm thinking about getting a Synology DiskStation as a file server and was wondering if a TiVo Bolt would be able to see and play shared videos on it.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I believe that PyTivo can be installed on it and that's how it can be shared.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You could also use Plex. Depends mainly on whether you want to transfer or stream.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I can put a "shortcut" into my My TiVo Recordings folder (on a PC running Windows and running TiVo Desktop) to a Buffalo Link-Station, and, provided I have .tivo files on the Link-Station, when I aim a TiVo's Now Playing list at the PC listed on the bottom, I can see those files (and copy them to the TiVo).

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What I am hoping for is the Tivo to transfer/copy from the NAS without any PC involved.

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You have to have the PC to be running TiVo Desktop and Desktop's server (which needs to be running for any copying on to or off of your TiVo, even if you don't have the Desktop program itself open), unless that Synology is sophisticated enough to emulate a Windows PC.