Tivo Desktop 2.5, Vista, and Zone Alarm

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by TivoInNY, Aug 11, 2007.

1. TivoInNY

TivoInNY Tivo Addict

Dec 19, 2002
    New York
    I'm having trouble getting Tivo Desktop 2.5 running on Vista. "Beacon Service note running" is the issue. When I try to start it, I get an error 1359, helpfully labeled "Internal Error". I know there are a few threads out there on this subject and I've tried uninstalling, cleaning, reinstalling, etc. No luck. I've also even tried turning off UAC for the install, to no avail (it's back on, now).

The only thing left I can think of is ZoneAlarm. It was mentioned in the main Tivo Desktop and Vista thread that someone isolated ZoneAlarm as the problem. I figured this is a common enough config that it's worth it's own thread. Has anyone been able to get Tivo Desktop 2.5 running on Vista with Zone Alarm installed? How about Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite (includes AV/Anti-Spyware)?

Thanks very much!

2. MikeTerryP

MikeTerryP Member

Mar 12, 2004
    I think I was the one you referred to. I tried just about everything I could think of to get 2.5 and ZA to play nice together and it never did work. I disabled everything other than antivirus in the suite and still no luck. I finally got rid of ZA and downloaded a free copy of Computer Associates antivirus provided by Roadrunner and everything worked perfectly. I have read that ZA has many problems with Vista and this is one that can be added to that list.

3. TivoInNY

TivoInNY Tivo Addict

Dec 19, 2002
    New York
    Thanks for the quick response. I'm a big ZA fan and have been using it for years, but the Vista version is certainly testing my loyalty. Unless someone has gotten this combo working, I guess I'll just wait it out a bit more to see if the next update of either program resolves the issue. Of course, at the rate Tivo and Checkpoint release things lately, that could be years...

4. eeg0323

eeg0323 New Member

Sep 11, 2003
    I too cannot make desktop, zone alarm and vista play nice. Cannot get beacon running. It was runnning till I installed ZA and thenit stopped. No setting seem to help. If I remove ZA and use Windows Firewall, all is well.

5. TivoInNY

TivoInNY Tivo Addict

Dec 19, 2002
    New York
    Anybody been able to make any progress on this? Absent an update from Check Point and/or Tivo, I doubt it, but just curious.

6. ACraigL

ACraigL Member

Feb 12, 2003
    I bailed on ZoneAlarm some time ago. I'm happily using the Windows Firewall + the hardware FW bulit into my router. It's a secure combo (with AVG Antivirus) , and easy to manage.

7. lizellis

lizellis New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I wish I had seen this thread a few days ago. I was running XP and had no problems with Zone Alarm but I just bought a new computer with Vista and couldn't get TiVo desktop to run at all. I tried for days and finally by process of elimination, I uninstalled Zone Alarm and now everything's running fine. I hate Windows firewall but I guess it's the price I have to pay.

8. ryanoc

ryanoc New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    I'm in the same boat.
    I would even be happy if shutting down Zone Alarm would work.
    But the fact that you have to uninstall it drives me crazy. I'm
    not ready to give up yet, but running out of ideas.