Tivo Desktop 2.5 question (Video)

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Vespa, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Vespa

Vespa Curious

Jan 4, 2002
    37.1400(N)...
    I installed Tivo Desktop 2.5 on my Windows Vista Ulitimate machine, and I can't seem to get my Tivo HD to see any videos on the machine. I have some DiVX files and plain old WMV files in the 'My TiVo Recordings.' When I look on my Tivo HD's NOW PLAYING list, I don't see any of my videos.

I can see my photos and music from that computer, so I can't seem to figure out what is wrong. I have never used TD before, so maybe I am missing something basic?

Any ideas?

TIA.

2. TokyoShoe

TokyoShoe Frustrated TiVoHD'er

Jul 27, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    This feature is apart of the "TivoToGo" package of features, which .. alas, is NOT enabled on the Series 3 Tivo's yet (including your and my TiVo HD). Yes... I was as upset and disappointed as you probably are right now.

Apparently TiVo Inc. wants to take an "All or Nothing" approach to this feature, holding off entirely on its' release and enabling until they get one or two last minute legalistics and quirks regarding HD video files ironed out. You'll be able to share music to your Tivo, share photos to your Tivo.. but you will not be able to pull Tivo recordings off your Series 3.. nor will you be able to share videos TO the Series 3. TivoToGo has to be enabled for that, unfortunately.

3. Vespa

Vespa Curious

Jan 4, 2002
    37.1400(N)...
    Well that sucks. It would be nice if they maybe added some text to that tab in the Tivo Desktop to spell that out.

It sucks indeed.

4. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    TiVo Desktop isn't the issue, it's the TiVo HD. If TiVo were to enable transfers on the TiVo HD today, TiVo Desktop would work with it. So putting text on the tab that it doesn't work with the S3/HD isn't the right way to go.

That said, while it does give you an "access is denied" error message when trying to access a S3/HD, I agree it could be a bit more descriptive as to what that actually means.

Still the download specifically mentions what features are "Not yet available for Series3™ or TiVo HD" so it's not like TiVo didn't tell you.

5. TokyoShoe

TokyoShoe Frustrated TiVoHD'er

Jul 27, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Yeah the download says that.

In super small text...

At the bottom of the page...

And STILL does not mention this fact ANYWHERE in the software itself. Why don't they just put in a code check, so when you go to download TIVO Recordings it tells you "Hey, you've got a Series 3, buster! You're screwed, sorry!" or something more refined and P.C. ?

6. Vespa

Vespa Curious

Jan 4, 2002
    37.1400(N)...
    That's what I guess I was looking for...most people (like me) probably just download and click next, next, next, agree, next and install the software without reading all the fine print.

Oh well, live and learn.

7. PaulRuby

PaulRuby New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Damn it. $800 for each of my two "upgrades" to series 3 and I still can't stream video to my TVs.

Plus, I bought an HDTV with lots of inputs so I could switch sources on the TV and send the audio from the TV to my receiver. But, The damn HDMI from tivo audio will not go through the TV and out to the receiver. I get 3 seconds of audio then dead.

All this HDCP / Legal BS is sickening. It makes every user suffer and solves NOTHING!!!!!! The thieves will EASILY find a way around. And this kind of crap, I would bet, ENCOURAGES an increase in good folks turned to alternative methods.

8. Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Completely unrelated question. Will an optical out connection to my receiver sound as well as an HDMI connection? Or am I allowed to pass HDMI to receiver to TV?

BTW, what format is sound saved as? Is it 5.1 for HD?