TiVo Desktop 2.5 on Windows Server 2003

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by smojo, Aug 15, 2007.

1. smojo

smojo New Member

Aug 4, 2003

Advertisements

It installs successfully, the TiVo Desktop icon is in the system tray with a red X over it and a message that says "TiVo Desktop: No Server"

Right click give two menu options:
    Show TiVo Desktop
    - Quick Splash Screen then nothing.

Restart TiVo Server
    - Short pause then error message:
    - The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Restarting Windows 2003 doesn't help, killing the processes and restarting them doesn't help. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't help. I'm stuck.

Why will TiVo Desktop install in 2003 but not run? Has anyone else had luck with 2003?

2. bghmsh

bghmsh New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Oregon
    I have the same issue but on an XP system

3. drosoph

drosoph Distinguished Member

Mar 21, 2000
    Allen, TX, USA
    Same problem ... XP

4. NewYorkLaw

NewYorkLaw New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    New York City
    Me, too. Windows XP system experiencing the same problem since installing 2.5.

I uninstalled and reiinstalled -even deleted (literally) every trace of tivo on my system, nothing helps...

Is an older version of the desktop software still available for download somewhere? I did not save a copy.

Pete

5. NewYorkLaw

NewYorkLaw New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    New York City

Advertisements

Any suggestions from anyone on this issue?
    I have uninstalled, reinstalled, and nothing works...
    Pete

6. gardavis

gardavis Member

Nov 24, 2001
    Deerfield...
    TD 2.5 is running OK on my Windows Server 2003.

My only issue is that when I attempted to install it via Remote Desktop, it failed. Once I used the local keyboard/mouse/monitor, it installed fine.

Gary

7. NewYorkLaw

NewYorkLaw New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    New York City
    Anyone know what's the story with this problem? There are 2 similar threads but no help.
    Pete

8. corners

corners New Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Wish I could chime in here and say I had an answer, but I don't.

However, I can confirm that for me (Windows XP SP2), the old "remove 2.5 and hand-scrub the registry" trick worked for me. Now if i can only get the danged thing to let me upgrade to Plus... But that's for another thread.

9. smojo

smojo New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    TiVoPony or other moderators: would you like to add your 2 cents to this one?

It's very frustrating that it installs and fails to do anything. Will there be a new installer released?

10. rb_9999

rb_9999 New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    South Carolina
    I am having the same problem with the server not starting. I just rebuilt my PC from scratch and it doesn't work. I would love suggestions. I just purchased the Tivo Plus version of course, and now I cannot get it to work.

11. rb_9999

rb_9999 New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    South Carolina
    OK. The hand scrubbing the registry thing worked for me too. Just search your registry for TIVO and delete the keys. Be careful not to delete the whole tree in which there is just one or two TIVO entries. After I cleaned everything up I also deleted the C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared directory. I rebooted, then reinstalled.

I also entered my Plus key and it seems to have worked as well.

12. rb_9999

rb_9999 New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    South Carolina
    OK, now I take it back. It looked like it worked but didn't. Then I rebooted and the server wouldn't start. Then my PC crashed and rebooted itself. I had to uninstall it.

Of course this has to happen after I paid for the upgrade.

13. rb_9999

rb_9999 New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    South Carolina
    Now I think I got it. I had too many files in the My Tivo Recordings directory. I don't know whether it was too many files or too many GIGS of files. I had 10G worth of files in there in 22 files. I moved them all out and moved 1 back in and everything worked fine.

I found this suggestion on the Tivo forums over at Tivo.com.