Tivo Desktop 2.5 Installer Locking up

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by smbaker, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1 of 11
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Anyone else having this same problem? I didn't see it mentioned in the 2.5 announcement thread.

The installer locks up on the "Updating System", "The software is being installed" screen. The progress bar does not move. The system appears to be idle. No error messages - nothing. This is under Vista Business.

Also, if anyone at Tivo is listening, please make the media access key field in the installer have a right click popup menu with paste, so I don't have to keep manually typing in the key.

2. Aug 8, 2007 #2 of 11
    Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Why would you start a new thread two down from an existing one?

3. Aug 9, 2007 #3 of 11
    wazzudude5

wazzudude5 New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Stalls during the installer - progress bar doesn't move. Help!

4. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    Great! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. :)

You are running under Vista as well?

5. wazzudude5

wazzudude5 New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Yes, I'm running in Vista.
    The Technicians on the toll free 800 support have been no help either.
    They're just telling me, uninstall, reinstall, reboot, remove anything Tivo, repeat.
    Frustrating!

6. jrplunkt

jrplunkt New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    I am having similar problems installing 2.5 under Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I am getting different error messages each time I try it. One is:

Error 1722. There is a problem with the Windows Installer Package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

or

The installation ended prematurely because an error occurred.

However, my wife was able to install it and run on a Vista Ulimate 64 bit notebook machine.

Anybody know what's going on with this? I miss my Tivo Desktop.

7. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    Anyone else experience this problem and/or get it resolved? or are Wazzudude5 and I the only ones? FWIW, the problem is still happening and nothing I tried (reboots, uninstalls, etc) helped.

8. bob_b

bob_b New Member

Aug 25, 2007
    I am using Vista 64 Utimate and the progress bar just sits there, doesn't move even when I allow it to run all night! I have cleaned out my registry, reinstalled, I can't uninstall because it never finishes the install in the first place. The web site mentions something about a zap tivo script but I can't find any trace of it anywhere.

As I had paid for the Desktop Plus I find this totally unacceptable. Tivo should fix this or refund the money.

9. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    That's the same problem I have.

Let's try to coordinate and details that might be similar with our systems to try to figure out the common factor.

Is your Vista a clean install or an in-place upgrade? Mine is an in-place upgrade from XP.

Were you running a prior Tivo desktop? I had installed the previous one, which of course was not working correctly due to Vista incompatibilities.

Anything particularly unique about your system?

10. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    Same Problem here "Installation ended prematurely..." error.

Running XP SP2
    Anti-virus disabled. Closed everything. Nothing works...

Everything was fine until I decided to upgrade. UG!

11. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    I am bumping this because right now my PC is unable to get Tivo Desktop installed. This is very frustrating! Where is the support at when you need it?

I uninstalled a perfectly fine program Tivo 2.3 to go to 2.5. I deleted the registry keys, turned off all anti virus and other programs, and nothing will get Tivo 2.5 to install. So I found an old copy of Tivo 2.4a - this gives the same error as Tivo 2.5 about ending prematurely.

How is it possible that I can no longer install a working version of Tivo Desktop?