Tivo Desktop 2.5 and Vista breaks MPG

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by clemon79, Aug 9, 2007.

1. clemon79

clemon79 Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Hopefully this is the right place to put this, as opposed to the TTG forum. :)

This morning, I installed Tivo Desktop 2.5 on my Vista machine, which went without incident. However, once it was installed, when I tried to open either a .tivo file, or an .mpg file I had made by running the .tivo file through DirectShow Dump, the video would not play in Windows Media Player...it would just come up on the first frame and freeze there. (Note that other .mpg files I had on this machine worked fine, leading me to believe this is a conflict with the specific .mpg codec that Tivo video files use.)

Uninstalling TD allowed them to play again, but of course now .tivo files won't play. (Basically, I'm back where I started.)

Here's the possible connector for all of this: I have ffdshow installed, primarily so I can play Divx and Xvid files in Windows Media Center using the Media Control Plugin. I think this might be what's causing this to happen...it's getting in the way of the Tivo codec doing it's job, or vice versa, or something. I'm not entirely sure, but I wanted to throw it out there as possible useful information.

So, my question: anyone know anything about this, or how I might fix it? Ideally I would like to be able to keep ffdshow (if indeed it's the culprit right now) while still having TD installed.

Thanks!

2. dli11

dli11 New Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Clemen79,

Were you able to solve the problem? I have the exact same problem and symptoms right now with TD 2.6.1. I just upgraded my Series 1 to Tivo HD and installed Tivo Desktop on my PC so I didn't have chance to try it with TD 2.5.

-David

3. pwuerslin

pwuerslin New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    I have the exact same issue. MPG will play fine in QuickTime, but it freezes when played through Windows Media Player 11. Tivo Desktop 2.6 (294273) has not fixed this issue. It was the same problem in previous versions. I don't think it's related to ffdshow, for I don't have that installed.

I haven't been able to find any solutions other than uninstalling TD and then replacing the MPEG-2 codec. Tivo has not been very supportive.