TiVo Desktop 2.5 and the S3

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by pitchford, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Aug 9, 2007 #1 of 27
    pitchford

pitchford New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    The higher res photos are nice.

Can we STILL not watch videos stored on a computer though?

Pissing me off. F the s2, I ponied up for the new one.

Or am I off base and just don't know how to do it?

2. Aug 9, 2007 #2 of 27
    msgreenf

msgreenf New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    you are correct. TivoToGo has not been enabled on the S3 or HD

3. Aug 9, 2007 #3 of 27
    rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    He's referring to tivo to come back (TTCB), which is also not enabled. I never really understood why, since there are no DRM issues.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Because TTG/TTCB are tightly intermingled.

5. pitchford

pitchford New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I'm referring to S2 owners being able to stream media from their computer to their tivo while us "premium" customers are left out in the cold.

Load of horse pooey it is then.

My old xbox can stream anything from any computer WITHOUT special software, they should just install xbox media center on the damn S3 if they're not capable of figuring out SMB.

6. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    They are capable of figuring it out. They are just in an abusive relationship with CableLabs.

7. JJWhite

JJWhite New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    "they should just install xbox media center on the damn S3 if they're not capable of figuring out SMB."

CableLabs told Tivo that if they want to be able to use CableCards, which are necessary for Tivo to do HD, then they can't include TivoToGo. The newer S3 Tivo, however, apparently has a hardware chip for converting HD video to SD, so maybe we'll see some functionality like TivoToGo but with reduced resolution in the future. I'm hoping for MRV at SD so I can share between my S2's and S3 at least somewhat.

8. gwar9999

gwar9999 New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    It seems odd that TTG and TTCB are so intertwined that TiVo can't figure out how to implement TTCB on the S3/HD. Certainly, I can understand why TTG isn't enabled, but TTCB seems harmless (since what is the difference of watching video that I already have on my PC vs my TV?). To that extent, I have a Sony PS3 that can play most of my video files via a MediaTomb server. Sure, I prefer the TiVo interface to the PS3's XMB interface, but atleast I now have a means of viewing my videos on a TV.

9. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    #1 - If you're using XBMC, that's hardly "WITHOUT SPECIAL SOFTWARE" since you had to install a mod-chip (semi-illegal), download software (which if you didn't compile it on your own, is semi-illegal), and then install it on the XBox.

#2 - XBMC is playing all those formats without the proper licensing. Since it's all semi-illegal, what's one more license violation. But it's not something a commercial company can just do.

#3 - If you mean the XBox Media Extender, then that plays almost no formats, and it's terrible.

Nice try.

10. WizarDru

WizarDru New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Malvern, PA
    What, are you kidding? It can play WMV 8 AND WMV 9. HAH!

Who's the smart guy NOW? Huh? And I didn't even mention WMAs! Take THAT!

11. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    Heck - I'd be happy if they enabled multi-room transfers of SD on the series 3.

Jim

12. Mach1_8

Mach1_8 New Member

Jun 6, 2007
    What? Out of the box it plays wmv/mpeg/dvrms. With transcode 360 it plays almost anything. I guess the assessment of it's quaility at the end of the day is a personal thing, but for my money I find the MCX does an amazing job with media playback. I certainly wouldn't call it terrible. Shoot, if it weren't for the fact that it doesn't do cablecard (cheaply anyway) I would still be using it as a DVR also.

13. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    He's referring to XBOX Media Center for the xbox1, not the media capabilities of the 360. XBMC plays every non-HD format known to man. Even stuff like quicktime, FLV, MKV. In fact, it'll play videos from the inside of 50 RAR files. It's awesome.

It's trivial to softmod an xbox1 with no modchip. That doesn't make it any less illegal in the US as you're "circumventing a protection mechanism". But I don't think anyone cares about the xbox1 these days.

14. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    Folks, just a little searching and research on the TiVo HD announcements from just a couple of weeks ago stated that they're going to add MRV and TiVo2Go for the original S3 and TiVoHD before the end of the year. They've also stated that they'll probably only initially support SD and HD converted to SD based transfers (due to the cable labs restrictions).

Since the series 3 based boxes rely on cable cards, they are restricted by rules set by Cable Labs. If TiVo ignored cable labs, then they could not get their boxes certified and they would also lose certification. If the boxes aren't certified, the cable companies are not required to support cable cards with TiVos. It stinks, but it's this simple.

15. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Wrong! Here's the real scoop from Tivo's Jim Denney himself:
    http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/07/24/qanda-with-tivos-jim-denney-about-tivo-hd/

16. Mach1_8

Mach1_8 New Member

Jun 6, 2007
  17. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I'm really keen for MRV. Currently I cannot watch my TiVo (s2) content on my S3 TiVo where my HDTV is. For now my work around is I have the S2 record and then auto-transfer to my PC. I then watch the S2 originated files on my HDTV downstairs using my PS3 being served up with windows media player.

The long and short of is I sort of have MRV in one direction using the TiVo desktop and WMP 11 as a media server and my PS3 as a client.

No work around for getting shows to go the other way yet though!

18. Surrealone

Surrealone TiVoOnThEmInD

Dec 8, 2006
    Ok I'm going to be SICK XBOX on S3. What is wrong with you. XBOX is a fake poor sad wana be game playing thing.... Now PS3 is a winner. All the goods and none of the bad. TRUE 1080P MEDIA HUB WITH ACCES TO MY NETWORK. Please take that sad xbox with it's DVD player and watch movies with it.

19. Mach1_8

Mach1_8 New Member

Jun 6, 2007
    What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this [forum] is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Sorry...I couldn't resist. I like dropping BM lines whenever I hear fanboy rants like that. Serious face back on... :D

20. Surrealone

Surrealone TiVoOnThEmInD

Dec 8, 2006
    Ok then..