TiVo Desktop 2.4 Preview!

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Solver, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Solver

Solver New Member

Feb 17, 2005
    San Jose, CA

Advertisements

http://tivo.com/4.9.4.1-2_win.asp

Preview exciting new features coming soon in the next TiVo desktop software release. Download TiVo Desktop 2.4 Preview Release—watch video downloaded from the web on your Series2™ box and dramatically enhance the clarity of your digital photos on your Series3™ box. Includes all the features of TiVo Desktop 2.3.

I.m downloading now... :D

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Looks like this thread beat this one by a minute, but there are more replies over there. :p

edit: just realized that all of the 2.4 Preview threads were started by you. :eek: :rolleyes:

3. Solver

Solver New Member

Feb 17, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Yea, I put the news here, where it should be, and the coffee house forum where most TiVo fans start out. I then realized that the S3 people should also get the news. Looks like the S3 users are the most verbal.

4. Bluesfan77

Bluesfan77 Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Has anyone who has a "plus key" tried this yet? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth th $25 or if I should just stick with tivo.net

5. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006

Advertisements

I would say stay with tivo.net as tivo.net lets you transfer more formats + it is 100% FREE. :up: :cool:

6. MonroeEfford

MonroeEfford New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Hate to ask such a basic question...but here it goes...

Once you download a video from Utube, etc., how do you then save it to your computer so that it can the be placed in your Tivo Desktop video folder?

Thx in advance.

7. jtown0620

jtown0620 TIMELORD with TiVo

Jun 17, 2004
    Trinity, Fl.
    Tried it last night, downloaded DLTV and some stuff from Rev3, it worked great the only thing it won't transfer is .VOB files. But it does take a minute for your TiVo to read the pc also I did have to reboot after I downloaded the files. But both of those issues were mentioned in the read me documentation.

8. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    YouTube is using Flash. One way (I know of) to "download" the video to your local PC would be to use something like the Tamper Data extension for Firefox to figure out the true URL of the .flv file.

But, in this specific example, I don't think TiVo Desktop 2.4 supports Flash video (.flv) so you probably won't be able to upload YouTube videos through it anyway.

9. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2584/

but like windracer said, 2.4 doesn't support .flv. Use tivo.net

10. ThatBozGuy

ThatBozGuy New Member

Oct 13, 2006
    So while conversion is a large part of focus of this release, there is a new way for the now playing list to be populated that is a vast improvement.

The drag and drop shortcut for multi directory scanning is the right direction but comes up just short and I hope its only because of the preview status.

While it now accepts multiple layers and reads subdirectories it should retain the directory structure. Right now every file goes into one big list, no grouping but the point of sub directories is often to group seperately. If you have hundreds of files, which this release will encourage and many of us have huge archives already, the list is simply unnavigable.

For example I have a large amount of series on an archive, under the archive tree it is setup by season, so for example :

Las Vegas: Season 1
    Season 2
    Season 3

And the episodes are named by title. 01 Pilot, 02 Title goes here and so on
    But since there is no grouping all the shows end up in the list alphabetically which would end up being 01 pilot, 01 episode from some other show 01 episode from some other season 01 some movie and so on.

So some grouping needs to be retained or possible.

In addition since conversion is a major movement some form of info manipulation needs to be implemented. It doesnt have to be direct editing of the xml header all though that would make the most sense but it could be as simple as an additional text file with the same name and a different extension being read with each file that contained title, description, recorded or altered date and so on to be displayed in the lists.

My 2 cents for now.

Boz

11. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
  12. CheezWiz

CheezWiz ReplayTV->S3 Tivo

Dec 29, 2006
    Middle...
    I hope they add .avi soon, XVID is my primary archive format.
    I have tried Tivo.net but cannot get it to see any video in the directory, so this is at least a positive step by Tivo for me..

13. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Tivo.net works for me with XVID. Did you open both ports on your firewall 9032TCP/9033TCP?

14. peteypete

peteypete New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Damn. Too bad I'm at work, I'd like to try this. a couple questions.

1) what is tivo.net that people are referring to?

2) Any workaround for real media files?

15. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    There's a very long thread on TiVo.Net here. The official site is here.

As for Real Media files, it uses ffmpeg for it's transcoding, so if ffmpeg can handle Real Media files, it will work.

16. ocntscha

ocntscha Member

Oct 22, 2003
  17. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    Here is another way to grab a YouTube video as a .flv filehttp://www.videodl.org/

18. KRKeegan

KRKeegan Im lost and confused

Jul 20, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have been tinkering with TiVo.net for a while and others. But one major problem we run into is having to estimate the transcoded file size before transcoding. I was wondering if anyone savvy enough out there could get me some intormation on how Desktop 2.4 handles this problem.

If someone could get me the XML data that Desktop sends to the TiVo about the file I would appreciate it.

Thanks

And finally one last one:

http://vixy.net/

For this one just plug in the page at youtube for the video you want and they convert it to avi for you and you download the avi.

Very Nice.

19. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Just install TiVo Desktop 2.4, put a file that would need transcoding on the PC and then use your browser to query it using:
    https://127.0.0.1:4430/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=/TivoNowPlaying

Look at the source size and see what it says.

That will tell you what Desktop thinks it will be, but that may not be enough to get a handle on the problem. What would be interesting is if it returns new tags indicating that the data is streamed, rather than having a fixed size. If it is a fixed size, then it gets more complicated figuring out how they solved it.

Good luck,

CuriousMark

20. KRKeegan

KRKeegan Im lost and confused

Jul 20, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I completely agree this is the type of information I am looking for. But i dont want to have to shell out $25 just to discover that answer. All I am looking for is how desktop responds when TiVo requests a file that needs to be transcoded. And this is of course only available in the "plus" version.

So if someone feels like being a guinea pig for me and report back a few things let me know.

Thanks

Kevin