TiVo Desktop 2.3 Beta

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Bierboy, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Jan 4, 2006 #1 of 17
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Sign up here. Features automatic transfers and support for iPod and Sony PSP.

2. Jan 4, 2006 #2 of 17
    Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Looks like they only want those with a PSP or a video Ipod to sign up.

3. Jan 4, 2006 #3 of 17
    JoeBarbs

JoeBarbs New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    well what are you waiting for? Head on over to best buy!

4. Jan 4, 2006 #4 of 17
    Oberon2006

Oberon2006 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Great! Maybe I will be picked. I do have a PSP. I'm new to TiVo - just having set up my box on Sunday - and have wondered how video would translate to the PSP.

5. Jan 4, 2006 #5 of 17
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    The PSP has the most gorgeous screen - seriously, it's the best out there!

The main limitation/inconveince is storage. You can get a 1GB card for about 80 bucks on Amazon now. 2GB cards can be had for twice that or under 200. There's also a 4GB hard drive with extended battery out there for $179: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=&products_id=7825 I can't vouch for it, but it looks useful if video's your thing. Of course by then, you've spent $400 - $500 and could have gotten a nice little Zen Vision, Cowon A2, or Archos AV500.

By the way a 1GB card is fine for probably two movies or more! (Though we don't know what the new software compresses to in size or resolution.)

[​IMG]

6. Jan 4, 2006 #6 of 17
    JoeBarbs

JoeBarbs New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've been using TVHarmony's Autopilot software and video from my TiVo looks amazing on my iPod. I can't wait to see how TiVo to go software handles this.

7. Jan 4, 2006 #7 of 17
    megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
  8. Jan 4, 2006 #8 of 17
    ZombiE

ZombiE TIVO Bender

Dec 16, 2005
    Fort Walton...
    The Beta software will automatically expire at the end of the Beta period. At that point, you can download the final version of Desktop 2.3 with auto-transfer support.
    What does that mean? :confused:

Alex

9. Jan 4, 2006 #9 of 17
    SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    The Beta software will automatically expire at the end of the Beta period. At that point, you can download the final version of Desktop 2.3 with auto-transfer support. You'll need to purchase the iPod and PSP support separately.

The iPod/PSP software will require a new codec to work. TiVo would have to pay to distribute the codec. When they announced the iPod/PSP support they announced that there would be an additional charge for this feature. It will be something like $20.

10. goman

goman Member

Dec 16, 2004
    hmm interesting.

I tried the PSP Video 9 program. It takes forever to transcode.

I think I will try this when I get home tonight.

11. Stu_Bee

Stu_Bee New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Silicon...
    "iPod/PSP software will require a new codec to work."

Ack..if I understand that correctly, me not interested. I like to unleash files to be played on any medium rather than just a specific portable media platform with a specific codec.
    I'm also currently using TV Harmony's AutoPilot to autodownload & convert to codecs which can be played on many handheld platforms.

However, I'm sure there will be many IPOD video owners that will take a look at Tivo once they hear about this new available feature.

12. Spiff

Spiff Pawn in game of life

Mar 1, 2004
    Fox Cities,...
    I'd guess that's either a typo or they're simply saying if something isn't working with your iPod or PSP, you'll have to contact Apple or Sony.

I don't think you can install codecs on an iPod. It plays what it plays.

13. TivoPip

TivoPip New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Also, it would appear that this fethure might require you to update your PSP to firmware 2.00 (probably using the AVC codec) which is a bummer 'cos I'd rather keep my PSP at 1. so I can run homebrew software.

14. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Nope, you misunderstood. Rather than codec, I probably should have used the word license.

TiVo has a license for MPEG-2 which is used on the devices and in TiVoToGo. The i-pod and PSP will not play MPEG-2. To upload the files to an i-pod or PSP they will have to be converted to MPEG-4. TiVo does not have a license per user for MPEG-4. What you are paying for if you decide to get the i-pod/PSP software from TiVo is the license to use MPEG-4. The software will likely support multiple pieces of hardware which are capable of play MPEG-4 files, not just the i-pod/PSP, though we will not know until they release more information on it.

15. Spiff

Spiff Pawn in game of life

Mar 1, 2004
    Fox Cities,...
    Ahhh... that makes sense.

I wonder if you own Quicktime pro you already have that license?

16. emeril2k1

emeril2k1 New Member

Sep 9, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks! :D

That was just the thing I needed to get MP4's working on my Treo 650.

Now if I could automate the Tivo-to-go, Autopilot, and Kinoma process....

17. audiocrawford

audiocrawford New Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Can anyone expand upon the other features of the release, besides PSP/iPod stuff? I don't have either, but I use TTG daily and would love to know what else (if anything) we will see for it.

AC